Leaking timing cover repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Higgins

Reaction score
5.0 V8 (2011 LR4)
I had my valve covers replaced a few years ago. The timing chain cover on the passenger side is now leaking. Can I reseal it without redo’ing the valve cover? I’m at 122k miles.

Thanks

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the correct answer is no. It's a valve cover gasket that needs to be replaced.

John Higgins

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So, while replacing the valve cover gasket; I will need to remove and reseal the timing cover? Or just doing the valve cover gasket itself will resolve it? I'm trying to visualize it. Thanks!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I have the same truck, so, I know from first hand experience doing it myself. I'd also suggest doing both LH and RH valve cover gaskets since rubber has a life expectancy, and it would suck to do it no too long after doing this one. You'll need to start with a cool engine.

- Remove the engine cover
- Depressurize and remove the fuel rail cross pipe
- Remove the rubber side covers
- Unplug and remove ignition coils
- Remove fuel rail(s)
- Unplug and remove injectors
- Remove the valve cover(s)
- Reverse the entire process

Removing the injectors would be the toughest part. Installing the injectors, I'd highly recommend lubing the o-rings prior to install for an easy install. You don't need to bleed the fuel, just start the truck when done. Overall, follow the workshop manual.

Since you're in San Diego, CA, I have the injector removal tool if you want to borrow it.

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done the upper front covers before without removing the valve covers.

You have to loosen the valve cover bolts to allow the valve cover to be raised up about a 1/4". Front (3) valve cover bolts have to be removed.
Then the timing cover will slide in and out. You do need to put a dab of silicone on the valve cover gasket where the timing cover meets the head.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One rubber side cover on my V8 is a *****. Its stuck in there good. I'm glad it turned out that I didn't need to remove that one lol. It seems smashed in there and getting it back in would probably be another battle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72