Lift Kit Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.5" is a world away from a 2" lift. None of the issues mentioned come into play. The LR3/LR4 is engineered to operate just fine with a 2" lift. The CV angles are only slightly steeper than stock. There is not one single case that I know of for a CV failure due to a 2" lift. For the last poster, the air suspension remains intact. You are only modifying the signal to request additional air pressure resulting in lift.

aesopian

Reaction score
I use the Johnson Rods daily.

Ensure you get your tires aligned by a Land Rover dealership versus Big O, etc.. I added the rods, went on a 2K trip after going to Big O to align and the tires wore horribly on the edges. Easily lost 5K to 10K of miles on my tires. Very disappointing.

I don't recall what Land Rover has to do, but I recommend you not wasting $80 like I did at Big O on their alignment. It doesn't work with a lifted LR4/LR3!

I don't have the paperwork for the cost at the dealership, but I know it was around $80.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But see that where everyones wrong here.

A 6 inch lift kit on a truck Lowers your front diff and transfer case, and in most cases your torsion bar's by 4 inches. Your 2-2.5 or so of additional lift comes from the change in Z height from your torsion bars, and thats what increases your CV angle, resulting in CV Failure. Thats on a chevy. Also ditto for a toyota. Ford and Dodge half tons are the same (unless the dodge is a mega cab where then it comes with a 9.25 AAM front) And your rear lift is achieved by either blocks, or new spring packs(really depends on your budget). The rear lift on almost all lift kits is only 5", thats the reason almost all lifted trucks out there look level, because your cranking down those torsion keys to get it level. Your additional 2 inches of lift to achieve a total of 6" in the front are from the torsion bars being cranked to the lift kit manufactures specs. Which is usually a tad more than factory, but still safe.

So technically your only "lifting" the truck 2 inches or so from factory spec Z height. Now 2 inches can put a pretty good angle on your CV's. And at full articulation your probably going to have some sort of binding inside the CV Joint. Leading to even a torn boot and then dirt gets in there then next thing you know your replacing a CV. and im guessing CV's are expensive on a Land rover, at least probably no where near a chevy's (they are like 130 apiece) and im sure there is no after market for them like there are other. Rough country makes the best CV axles on the market but not for land rovers.

This is why i asked.

tongagrnlr3

Reaction score
i love this… however can they be mod'd so i can go from stock to lift more easily think quick disconnect say bar style

i live in la and need to still fit into parking structures… my girl likes to shop…

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use johnson rods. I run them all the time with no problems. I also had my sensors recalibrated before I started using them full time ,and a wheel alignment wouldn't hurt either.

I love that pic with the Goodyear silent armors and the LR3 lift kit. Got it on the website. Drop me a PM with your email. I like this pic going the other way too!
http://johnsonrods.com

steve1.jpg

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Johnson Rods daily.

Ensure you get your tires aligned by a Land Rover dealership versus Big O, etc.. I added the rods, went on a 2K trip after going to Big O to align and the tires wore horribly on the edges. Easily lost 5K to 10K of miles on my tires. Very disappointing.

I don't recall what Land Rover has to do, but I recommend you not wasting $80 like I did at Big O on their alignment. It doesn't work with a lifted LR4/LR3!

I don't have the paperwork for the cost at the dealership, but I know it was around $80.

I made that same mistake with a tire shop and ended up taking it to the dealer to get it done right. Good advise! I have rods in 23 countries and most of the guys using them keep them on full time with the larger tires and therefore getting an alignment is necessary.

th_JasonReynolds.jpg

th_JorgesLR3fromMunichGermany.jpg

th_Picture447-1.jpg

th_photo.jpg

tongagrnlr3

Reaction score
Where do you wheel Johnson? ur in so cal desert ya?

ur red rig looks sick with those GY MTRs! what size!?!?!? guess im gonna be buying rims soon too. du u know if some stamped steels will fit? im going for the mil spec look

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you wheel Johnson? ur in so cal desert ya?

ur red rig looks sick with those GY MTRs! what size!?!?!? guess im gonna be buying rims soon too. du u know if some stamped steels will fit? im going for the mil spec look

Thanks man. Yes, I wheel in the So Cal desert and with SCLR. Not sure on the rims but someone on this forum may know where to get them. Hope to see you at one of the SCLR events.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112