Looking for Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRwhat

Reaction score
I just ordered my set of coopers thanks to Dave's link, here is how I did it. Take a print out of the web page from Dave's link into discount tire, they will price match and have a $80 rebate on top of it! I was lucky to unload my continentals for $500 and am looking forward to a snow / off road capable tire!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my set of coopers thanks to Dave's link, here is how I did it. Take a print out of the web page from Dave's link into discount tire, they will price match and have a $80 rebate on top of it! I was lucky to unload my continentals for $500 and am looking forward to a snow / off road capable tire!
Awesome! :)

Can't wait to see pictures. Glad I could help.

-David

LRwhat

Reaction score
Awesome! :)

Can't wait to see pictures. Glad I could help.

-David

The new tires have arrived!:biggrin: After driving on them for the past 50 miles I have become inspired to write a review with pictures...top gear style!

So.. Here they are
P1020746.jpg

Do I like them? ....... Yes

Is it a more aggressive tire?
P1020747.jpg
Yes

Does it feel more stable around the corners? ........ Yes

It must be so bumpy that a baby can no longer fall asleep.
P1020743.jpg
No, it isn't

So, has your average fuel consumption dropped during your extensive driving?
....No, it hasn't

Having this tire must make the back end look better right?
P1020745.jpg
Yes, it does

Are they good enough to make a five year old "toe head" smile?
P1020744.jpg
Yes, they are

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for new tires pretty soon -- is there a noticeable difference in the Coopers on the highway (noise, handling) compared to the stock Conti's? I've seen the Coopers on a few LR4's locally and they look great, and sound like a great mix of on-road / off-road driving, but since 98% of my miles are going to be "on-road" I'm curious if they are overkill. I have gone through a few ice and snow storms this winter, and feel like the Conti's were really slipping all over the place - I've actually preferred my Audi (w/ quattro) over the LR4 in the snow, which has been a bit of a surprise.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for new tires pretty soon -- is there a noticeable difference in the Coopers on the highway (noise, handling) compared to the stock Conti's? I've seen the Coopers on a few LR4's locally and they look great, and sound like a great mix of on-road / off-road driving, but since 98% of my miles are going to be "on-road" I'm curious if they are overkill. I have gone through a few ice and snow storms this winter, and feel like the Conti's were really slipping all over the place - I've actually preferred my Audi (w/ quattro) over the LR4 in the snow, which has been a bit of a surprise.

That's my concern too.

I've always been a dedicated snow tire person for all my cars, but they usually were sporty cars.

For my winter/beater Grand Cherokee, I got Michelin LTX2's (I think), which were highly rated all-terrains. I love them. Not superb on ice, but good enough given how good they are everywhere else.

However, the LR4 would be used year round. Assuming I buy it new, I would not throw away new Contis, so I would probably get snow tires (recommendations?) since it seems the Contis are not very good in the winter. Maybe when the Contis wear out, I'll consider replacing them with something a bit more aggressive for occasional off-road use but still comfortable enough for daily on-road and highway use.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through 3 sets of Cooper Zeon LTZs on my RRS, they lasted me about 40-50K miles each on average. They are OK on fresh / soft or groomed snow, but over packed snow or ice they will pretty much slip and slide like any non-winters. As far as noise they start quiet - pretty much as quiet as the stock tires in my experience - but do get a good bit noisier after a few thousand miles and downright loud after 25-30K miles, again that's fairly typical of more aggressive A/Ts. Rotating them regularly (I almost never did... :frown: ) may help. On-road handling and comfort are otherwise very good for an all-terrain on both wet and dry roads and they feel secure at just about any speed you can hope to achieve with an LR4, just don't expect the precision of a summer or all-season road biased tire in high speed turns (a lot will also depend on the size you pick, obviously. The more sidewall you add compared to a stock size, the more handling capabilities you will be giving up.)

They are an excellent go-anywhere choice with very few drawbacks, but specialized ice+snow tires (those with a snowflake symbol on the sidewall) are the only ones I would use during the winter months if I lived in areas where ice and snow storms were a common occurrence. Fortunately I don't have that problem here in So. Cal., the Coopers did just fine for the occasional skiing trip up the local mountains.

For my new LR4 I have decided to switch to Yokohama Geolandar AT-S, but since I just got them I have no opinion on them yet, other than they are whisper quiet and look good.

Last edited:

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer buys the new oem tires from all of my Land rovers and I put what I want on them. In the case of the LR4's, I used Nokian WRG2 tires. They are a great "all year" tire...

fordavea

Reaction score
I've used Nokian Hakka R SUV tires in winter in Maine and have been very pleased with them - night and day difference between stock Contis which got very slippery as temps drop below 40. Contis also useless in snow compared to Hakkas. Have Hakkas on separate set of OEM 19" wheels.

I'm also looking for a road tire and have narrowed it down to Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas or Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. Tire Rack has slight pref for Verdes, however, following is an LR4 owner post on TR about them:

2010 Land Rover LR4 More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Miles driven on tires: 200
Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Driving Style: Average

Initial Review, 200 Miles on Tires
June 27, 2012
Just installed these tires on my 2010 LR4. I read the reviews and did not pay enough attention to two primary points. The sidewall is stiffer due to the compounds and design of the tire to comply with the "green" makeup of the tire and as a result it is harsh over rough road, potholes, grates etc. It makes a considerable difference on the ride of the vehicle. The second point made in the test on TireRack is the sterring response being a bit on edge. It is and if you have a cor that tracks well and you can steer with one finger on the road, nomore. The steering is nervous now. I replaced really poor OEM Continetals and these are quieter and better for tracking big ruts but I should have gone wiht the Bridgestone HL Alenza for the same price .

Question. Has anyone used the Pirelli Verdes and also had steering issues with them? I plan to use a separate set of A/T tires on 18" wheels off road so dedicated road tire is my prime interest.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of pirelli. My V70R's stock pirellis were average as max performance summer tires but had a very stiff ride. When they were worn I *** in Michelin PS2's and the car had a much better ride, better grip, less, noise, etc. They cost the same too.

Then again my parents' XC70 pirelli scorpions seemed pretty decent.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using Maxxis Bravo 771 AT and I love'em. I've got about 15k miles on it now and its as quiet as the stock Conti's while kicking ass on several offroading trips I took. Snow traction probably slightly better than stock but then again, I live in socal so our snow condition is probably not as treacherous as some of you may face.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112