Looking for Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dedron

Reaction score
just curious.. how much did your dealer give you for the new OEM tires? I was thinking about doing the same thing when my '13 arrives.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts manager gives me a little less than what Tire rack would sell them at retail. This is probably his cost, as he can buy them a little under the Tire Rack price. He probably charges a little more than Tire Rack, so he still makes money on the stock tires.

My latest switch worked out about even, which is fine with me...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts manager gives me a little less than what Tire rack would sell them at retail. This is probably his cost, as he can buy them a little under the Tire Rack price. He probably charges a little more than Tire Rack, so he still makes money on the stock tires.

My latest switch worked out about even, which is fine with me...

Wow, good deal.

LR34

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for new tires pretty soon --....

Since winter in ending soon I will probably hold off until fall for a better winter tire. I am also looking for something that is better in snow and dry than offroad. It is tough to find a tire that meets all my desires since many of the winter tires have a "soft" winter compound that is not great in the summer. I had General Grabber AT2's on my old LR3 and they had a more aggressive tread along with a snow rating. But I had slightly worse mileage and they seemed to get out of balance relatively quickly (but they are not in my LR4 19 size).

I am now looking at:
- Toyo Observe GSi-5
- Toyo Winter Observe Open Country G-02 Plus
- Pirelli Scorpion ATR (so so in snow)
- Pirelli Winter Carving Edge
- Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme (snowflake rated)
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV
- Nokian WRG2 SUV (a new WRG3 SUV is due out this spring)

I'll probably keep reading the forums and wait to see what is available this fall.

Last edited:

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I have an LR3, I have been following Scott Brady's LR4 Build project on Expedition Portal http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...l-Project-Land-Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)/page30 where he is writing on his personal LR4 build. Note that he is now using stock LR 18" rims but to do so he ordered wheel spacers which allow the 18's to work around the larger brakes. He has fitted 33's on the truck now...amazing!!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new tires have arrived!:biggrin: After driving on them for the past 50 miles I have become inspired to write a review with pictures...top gear style!

So.. Here they are
View attachment 3320

Do I like them? ....... Yes

Is it a more aggressive tire?
View attachment 3323
Yes

Does it feel more stable around the corners? ........ Yes

It must be so bumpy that a baby can no longer fall asleep.
View attachment 3321
No, it isn't

So, has your average fuel consumption dropped during your extensive driving?
....No, it hasn't

Having this tire must make the back end look better right?
View attachment 3324
Yes, it does

Are they good enough to make a five year old "toe head" smile?
View attachment 3322
Yes, they are
Haha! That was great! :)

Glad you like them! You can't beat them for the price and our limited options with the 19" wheels.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I have an LR3, I have been following Scott Brady's LR4 Build project on Expedition Portal http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...l-Project-Land-Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)/page30 where he is writing on his personal LR4 build. Note that he is now using stock LR 18" rims but to do so he ordered wheel spacers which allow the 18's to work around the larger brakes. He has fitted 33's on the truck now...amazing!!!

I don't know Jim, I am no mechanic and have little experience with wheel spacers, only had 5 mm ones on an old Volvo S80 years ago with zero issues, but after doing some more research on them I am not so sure pushing wheels out that dramatically (1.25" is one chunky spacer!) would be a good idea in the long run. Hubcentric custom made spacers and aligned all you want, in the end you are still changing the geometry of our suspensions in a fairly major way, and putting more stress on wheel bearings... I wouldn't do it on my car, not for the long haul anyway. We all know these vehicles to be pretty finicky when it comes to suspensions, and the wheel bearings on my Sport did not last forever to begin with... Front left went out at 120K and FR at 180K miles, without any spacers and just running mildly oversized tires, not even close to 33".

Hopefully Scott and crew will prove that my fears are unfounded, but I'll let him try first. :wink: I certainly admire his work and dedication, and his willingness to push the envelope for our benefit, but wheel spacers don't have the greatest track record among sports cars, let alone obese SUVs that take a beating off road such as ours.

Last edited:

photodisco

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd set of Pirelli ATR's. As quite as anything else with excellent Wet/snow traction. Really a good compromise.

ByGuile

Reaction score
I am on my third winter with the Nokian Hakkapaliti 5 and I must say they are the bomb.
The wear indicator says they are barely half way to needing replacement, so they are wearing quite well.
The traction control system is redundant with these tires. I only get TCS lights and sounds if I try to do donuts in deep snow.
Seriously, the Nokian winter tires are all that. Very highly recommended.
I have them mounted on their own set of 19" wheels and I swap them myself in the spring/fall.
The question now is what all season (ie summer ) tires to get. There is a wide assortment of 19" out there now.
I am thinking of the Michelin Latitude tour HP. Price is right.
Any one with experience with this tire?

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
So i talked to one of the service managers at Land Rover San Diego about this issue. I'm not naive, so I know where he's coming from and I pretty much new what his response to the question was going to be. Basically he tried to convince me to stick to a tire with a 111V rating that was basically similar to the OE Continentals that came on the LR4. I got the whole spiel about road noise that's created by a more off-road oriented tire, which I can understand. He told me that the vehicle was specifically designed to have a 111V rated road oriented tire. etc etc etc....

I'm leaning towards going with a mud and snow rated "road" tire and possible just getting a spare set of off-road tires and wheels if I ever find myself out on the trail every weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9