Looking to buy an LR4 and have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernartgirl

Reaction score
You are probably right! I will check it out! I am very happy with the truck and feel safe in it.

Tiger

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies y’all! I am looking. We test drove a 2013 this weekend. We loved the vehicle, but that particular one was beat up. Headed to Dallas this weekend for CE so planning to look at a few up there.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shame the 13 was beat up.

When I bought my LR4 back in January of 2016, I also looked at a few 200 series Land Cruisers. I'm not sure what it was about those, but every used 200 series I looked at was beat to ****. Either the interior was scratched to hell, or the exterior would have a lot of scratches or faded paint. Although I've owned several Land Cruisers in the past, this made me think that Toyota is a make that people who don't know how to care for cars flock to because they think they don't have to care for them.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 HSE with 85k mikes also a relatively new to me 2015 HSE with 38k in it.

To me, there is no comparison, I have always loved the ‘12 and the V8 is just about all the reason for that. The gear shift wheel in the ‘15 is also a constant reminded of why I like that vehicle so much less. The ‘12 has been getting upgraded for more OFFROAD driving and camping while the ‘15 is basically a DD. The LR4 with the V6 just feels so much heavier to me than the ‘12 with the V8.

However, I would guess if you plan on this being a DD for your wife, she will be completely happy with one of the newer V6 models (mine is).

Really depends on how you are planing on using the LR4 and expectations.

Down in Houston, a 30k mile 2015 goes for about $30k if that helps...

Good Luck [emoji106]

Last edited:

Ttweedy

Reaction score
Hey kids,
I'm going to jump into this one as an opportunity to pick up a 12 LR4 has come up. We have a 06 LR3 (81K) for the last 3 years and love this vehicle. I've done all the needed maint, lower control arms with poly, updated tranny pan, front wheel bearings, added the towing wiring, new Michelin's, and of course flushed and filled everything.

The 12 has 49K so it'll be due for the rash of normal LR maint. I've seen the a 12 needs to make sure that crossover pipe and timing guides have been done. What kind of $ is one looking at to get those done from an Indy? Is the crossover pipe a DYI?

THX,
Todd

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I haven't done it myself, a crossover pipe isn't too hard of a DIY. It's all on the top of the engine, and several people on this forum have done it themselves (mine was still under the CPO warranty when it was done, so I was happy to have the dealer do it).

The timing chain guides would probably not be classified as a DIY job. One person on here has done it themselves, and you can search and find the thread to see the hell he went through. Atlantic British also has a DIY video, and even they recommend not doing it yourself.

Prices on the timing chain job vary. Anywhere from probably $3.5k to $7k, depending on where you live and if you can supply the parts yourself.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey kids,
I'm going to jump into this one as an opportunity to pick up a 12 LR4 has come up. We have a 06 LR3 (81K) for the last 3 years and love this vehicle. I've done all the needed maint, lower control arms with poly, updated tranny pan, front wheel bearings, added the towing wiring, new Michelin's, and of course flushed and filled everything.

The 12 has 49K so it'll be due for the rash of normal LR maint. I've seen the a 12 needs to make sure that crossover pipe and timing guides have been done. What kind of $ is one looking at to get those done from an Indy? Is the crossover pipe a DYI?

THX,
Todd

I’ve done the crossover. Simple job. Go ahead and do water pump at the same time, you’ll thank me later. You need the crossover, the water pump, and outlet pipe (behind water pump). If you’re feeling adventurous, do the back crossover too. It is also plastic and will develop a leak (usually not catastrophic like the front) at about 100k miles.

Tiger

Reaction score
I found a brown 2013 in Dallas that we are going to look at this weekend with 53k. Fingers crossed!

Wife and I love the color and in has the dark brown interior, which I hadn’t seen but we like.

Ttweedy

Reaction score
Dang, that chain can get a little spendy....Is there any telltale sign on it needed to be done or is it just all of them need to be done?

Tiger, what are they asking for the 13?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, that chain can get a little spendy....Is there any telltale sign on it needed to be done or is it just all of them need to be done?

Tiger, what are they asking for the 13?

Sounds like marbles on startup. Youtube has some videos with timing chain noise (it's the same on all 5.0 engines, so there will probably be more Range Rover videos on it). Problem is, these aren't really silent engines to begin with, so there could be a some false alarms.

The only way a check engine light would come on is if the chain stretches enough to throw off the timing, which is to the point where you wouldn't want to come near it if you're looking to buy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72