Low frequency vibration? Only while towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoshone

Reaction score
One reason I bought a Rover was to travel comfortably, have off road capability, and tow a boat or trailer.

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Went for a 300 mile trip, towing a 3200 lb trailer. Went fine, and cruised at around 60 MPH. As we arrived, I noticed a tremor in second gear while accelerating gently. Was not noticeable in first and third or higher. Did not seem to be speed related.

On the way home, it became more noticeable in all lower gears. Once at cruising speed it was fine. I started shifting manually to keep it out of the vibe zone. It does not seem to be related to engine speed, and is worse under low speed, high torque situations. Removing the trailer makes it go away. I haven't crawled under for a look, but I'm hoping it's the center driveshaft support bearing, or the driveshaft itself.

Shoshone

Reaction score
Fixed the problem. Internal transmission oil pump bushing rotated in housing. Just $$$$$ and it's ok.

Bowman

Reaction score
Curious. I just traded my 2005 LR3 for a 2010 Range, for a little more comfort and more horsepower. I tow a 4500 camper sometimes. The LR3 had over 200k miles & did well till the transmission started to shudder. Changed trans fluid & added Dr. Tranny fluid & it did fine for while. Now with the Range I’d like to avoid transmission issues. How did you find out your problem was the internal pump bushing? How much want the fix? What exactly did your mechanic do? Thanks for your info.

Shoshone

Reaction score
I had two shops evaluate it with seat of the pants driving. Both agreed it was the transmission, after eliminating engine misfire, mounts etc. I agreed to a teardown and inspection of the unit. The pump damage was found then. They did a complete overhaul with updated parts and a new valve body. They pretty much insisted on doing it all, instead of just replacing what was worn or damaged. About $6000 total. If I could do it over, I would look into just getting a new unit. The cost might be comparable, and the warranty better. On the bright side, it shifts better than it ever did.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut