Low hanging exhaust....(long)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hysterwv

From day one, I thought the routing of the exhuast under the rear axle was odd. Well, today I had my first bad experience with this setup. We (wife, myself, and 2 of my 3 sons) went to look at some rural property my wife in interested in purchasing. The subject property is located about 1 mile from the closest road. It's situtated along an abandoned county road (read over-grown trail).

We succussfully drove DOWN to the property with me driving and my wife moving downed trees and low hanging vines and branches. After checking the place out, we started our trek out. While climbing the first mild grade (with my wife in the car), we heard a CRACK. I thought it was just an old downed tree that we had crushed.

We continued up to the second steep grade. This is where I found that the stock tires SUCK. I got a run at it in 2nd gear low range (it's quite narrow and STEEP). We got about 3/4 of the way up and were spinning all fours. We BARELY crested the hill.

Upon arriving home (about 5 miles), I discovered that a LARGE branch, about 6" in diameter had wedged itself between the exhaust and axle. The resulting damage was minor and included a cracked heat shield, bent hanger, and bent tailpipe. I was able to "over" bend the hanger enough to compensate for the bent pipe, but it still hangs down about 3/4" lower than the other side.

Overall, the LR3 is excellent both on and off-road, I just wish there was a better setup for the tailpipe and heat sheilds.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, when Sam first posted pictures of the LR3 here I thought that must've been some sort of "let's just get a tailpipe on there so we can drive it, then we'll put the real one [mounted over the axle] on" siutation.

That is a stupid design. There should be nothing below the axle (really, the frame rails, but oh well) that isn't protected.

F

Freeflytim

Do you guys actually know WHY the exhaust tubes are routed the way they are??

Obviously not because you are complaining about them.

Here's a hint-

Why does the D3 have more articulation than the D1 or D2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does independent suspension have to do with it? it still gets in the way on clearance issues, as posted to above...

Please educate me, then. Why was the exhaust pipe run underneath the axle, rather than above it like on, well, Series, Defenders, Rangies, and Discoveries?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no answer to my request for an explanation...

As this is an informational site, with a stated goal in the forums of being "friendlier" than other sites, I'll refrain from responding to Steve C or FreeFlyTim's messages.

They should know that, in the event of a moderator or the site admin (Sam) determining a post to be inappropriate, the post can be deleted, among other remedies.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should know that, in the event of a moderator or the site admin (Sam) determining a post to be inappropriate, the post can be deleted, among other remedies.
Then don't have moderators acting in an asslike manner.

I would assume given the number of times this board has gone down for lack of payment that the level of maturity all around is rather low -- but there is no need to confirm such assumptions with immature moderator responses.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this thread has run its course and is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4