LR3 LR4 Range Rover Sport - TOOLS thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F9FC3574-913F-4F69-934F-84611102298D.jpeg
94C6B254-1DC7-43E9-AA17-C72F415DDB45.jpeg
I'm going to post all my tools that I've used on my lr3. I may also post some that I needed for the Audi and BMW but after I get most everything on here, feel free to add yours if different but not unless you can also describe why and for what purpose ;)

Many of these can vary wildly in price from different sources so it is prudent to shop around and even wait for sales. Also troll the ebay sellers for new and slightly used. There is "used" for sure, but then there is not" new" but essentially not used either. I got an out of production Snap-on wrench set for great $ and it was not "new" but **** I couldn't tell it wasn't.

I love Snap-on and Proto, but I also have MAC, Cornwell, and even Kobalt, and other odd brands like this one that was such a great value point. What's cool about these little 1/4 drive sockets is how short they are (i've only used the sockets, never the ratchets LOL)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00291R2EU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will *** links to where I bought them and/or at least the manufacturer page for specs/part numbers.

Snap-On have simply the best ratchets as far as I've found yet in terms of build quality but also easy to source rebuild kits and little things like the locking flex head version can be in lock or free mode. MAC only has lock on the locking, only free on the free.

Snap-On even has a nice locking flex head with quick release. In some situations a QR is nice, in others it's not.

The Snap-On "high performance" "zero offset" box wrench set is simply killer. However my other two large sets are Proto medium offset which is probably about 10 degree and 6mm to 32 or 36mm and Proto spline ratcheting combination in black also 6mm to 32 or more. Not cheap, but worth every penny in my opinion.

Some interesting things occur too between brands. Ratchet heads are different shapes, thickneses, and engagement depths. So you could add a "short" socket on a less compact head then end up with basically the same usability as a standard socket on a really tight head.

There are cool items too like Snap-On "compact" 3/8 which is a 3/8 anvil inside a 1/4 drive head which is a lot smaller form factor.

Proto sockets are hard to remove from snap-on heads, however easier from proto and MAC heads. (MAC is often the same actual part or forging as Proto)

Some cool items like locking pin swivel impact won't let the socket come off.

A Proto 3/4 drive impact is awesome for a few key items like an axle/hub nut or some suspension parts that are seized.

Odd hex and external torx sizes like 7mm and ET11 are hard to find but the 7mm goes into a strut tower damper rod to hold it while the nut is removed. I think it's also on an audi or bmw somewhere. I've never seen the external torx anywhere on the lr3 except the drive shafts and maybe the trans case.

A few items are key to making the suspension work an easy vs gigantic pain in the ass job.

It's even nice to change from factory goofy metal sheet covered lug nuts to Gorilla Nutx black or chrome which are true 22mm and won't get changed over time to require 7/8 because the metal deforms.

I'm going to slowly post all this crap.....

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
links here

proto full set 1/2" drive impact 6 point
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VY58PG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3/8 drive impact "thin wall" fit into areas a cheaper impact with thick walls will not, PROTO usa made! ;)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025QSL2G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grey Pnuematic cheap but great 1/4 drive impact set with short and deep
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00291R2EU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

swivel sockets, many options but these were good condition used for something i hardly ever need:
MAC 10 Piece Metric Universal Swivel Deep Impact Socket Set 10-19mm, 3/8" Drive
ITEM PRICE:
US $135.00

VIM makes some neat small stuff but you can find pricing all over the place, i got this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Tools-HCT105...TY6VTMWA7NW&psc=1&refRID=3SSX5DG1JTY6VTMWA7NW

you may never touch the drive shafts or trans case but this is the best set i found for external torx. snap-on chrome hand drive
https://store.snapon.com/Low-Profil...nbsp-E8-E10-E11-E12-E14-E16-E18--P746192.aspx

Ratchets, both extra long and standard, sometimes a short is good in tight spaces:

you need this one to make strut top an easy job:
Snap On 1/4 Drive Extra Long Handled Flex Head Soft Grip Ratchet THLLF72 New
ITEM PRICE:
US $129.99

Snap-on 3/8" Drive Extra Long Flex Head Ratchet
ITEM PRICE:
US $129.50

NEW Snap-on™ 1/2" drive 24" Long Handled Dual 80 Flex Head Ratchet SLF80A UNused
ITEM PRICE:
US $169.99

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drilling, tapping, miscellaneous fabricating:

when you have a set of taps, it's nice to have more than just the normal tap bar to hold them. These tap sockets and other items provide more solutions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRFOE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6SG4A/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TGM7HY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

useful taps often not in a small set:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTQONW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't crap up my thread for a few weeks ok please ! ;)

Wrenches:
Snap-On XDHM606 6 Pc 12 Point 15° Metric Box Wrench Set i got mine on ebay $155

This set
NEW! Snap-On 11pc Metric 10° Offset Double Box Wrench Set 6-32mm XBM/XSM Series
for $360

love these ratcheting proto combi:
22 Piece Metric Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set Proto Tool JSCVM-22S New
ITEM PRICE:
US $535.00

short version:
Proto Tool 13pc 6mm - 19mm Metric STUBBY Ratcheting Wrench Set JSCVMS-13S New
ITEM PRICE:
US $174.50

used i think, flare nut set for the air lines but also other fluid lines:
CORNWELL 6 Piece Metric Flare Nut Wrench Set 9mm thru 21mm - NICE - BWFMP6ST
ITEM PRICE:
US $110.00

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D7DE0CC7-C13F-40F9-A31E-6219F496F5E8.jpeg
4271AE6A-E2BA-40F4-AA62-AABE7A13E054.jpeg
D8E4BC69-3D8E-4F42-A2E4-68DA3142C283.jpeg
will try to post photos of my actual stuff too but i'm out of town so it'll be a few weeks at least

Some tool shots for ideas. Feel free to ask about specific items, brands, etc. I did a bit of research each time I chose an item such as how I came to Proto for air tools except one super compact 3/8 drive.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also things like bigger jack stands than most people usually think of getting. I'm trying to dig up photos to insert but I got 4 of the larger 12k or so that have a collapsed height of still 18" or so. These end up having a larger footprint too so the whole thing is way more stable when you've going to be under there and it's all off the ground so you have room to move around.

I had the sliders roughly 24" off the ground. 4 stands with 1 each side right in front of the rear wheels under the slider, 2 at the corners under the forward-most engine crossbeam. Because I wanted plenty of room behind the front wheels I didn't have stands there but I did have 2 sets of tires/wheels stacked each side mid way under the B pillars.

There may have been back-up shorter stands under the front doors.

This is another use where you'll be happier to have an E load range tire LOL

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i splurged and got 4 floor jacks with 24" reach and 3or better ton rating. i use a small lightweight aluminum for things like raising a hub knuckle or strut bottom as sort of a third hand.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tool chests, but also simply solutions, cheap or easy for project carts. i used a plastic bin lid on a lowes blue plastic furniture dolly for 2 years now. it's low, rolls under the cars with me as opposed to an actual cart which would be stuck out beside car... i plan to make a little cart though for a few levels of metal trays to replace the bin lid. then i can leave the project kit on the tray but also easily put it on a cart shelf or the ground level dolly idea.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i repaired filler tubing, the pump, lines, on the 2nd fuel tank, a floor jack was essential. i did it at the same time as the bigger suspension work and used another floor jack that was not as new as the 4 for the big job. yeah, they're like $200 each but you can just pay a shop to do this and never see the $ again. i can use these a long time or even sell them off later.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tire "collection" is stacked on these furniture dolly things too. I have 4 additional stored sets for the lr3 = 20, and an extra set each for the two wagons so 30 FREAKIN wheel/tires ! You have to go vertical ;)

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72