LR3 suspension air to coil conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J...there are more newbies on this board (and the others) now than us OGs and that's probably to be expected. Part of the life cycle of the LR3 and any other car. They don't have all the history. All the questions we answered during years 2005-2010. They probably don't consider the EAS in their purchase and what it takes to maintain it. Then they see a glossy ad for a coil conversion and get sucked in without weighing pros and cons.

It's all good....we can help them.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with jwest, one of the biggest advantages off road is the air suspension. If you want to run bigger tires there are ways to lift your truck and keep the air bags. What I would like to find is a lift kit that would give me 2" in addition to the air suspension like spacers that would space everything up so I could fit a larger tire but if the suspension drops or fails it wouldn't drop to the tires.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with jwest, one of the biggest advantages off road is the air suspension. If you want to run bigger tires there are ways to lift your truck and keep the air bags. What I would like to find is a lift kit that would give me 2" in addition to the air suspension like spacers that would space everything up so I could fit a larger tire but if the suspension drops or fails it wouldn't drop to the tires.

there isn't a kit yet but a couple people have done a true body lift. In my opinion, that is the only good way to "lift" the lr3 because it allows the suspension to function 100% as engineering intended while allowing safe use of much larger tires. The RRsport SC owner has 37" and I'm thinking almost zero rubbing issues.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, this is the same ridiculous question that keeps coming from newbies. Why do you people buy an air suspension vehicle and then cry about it and/or the "cost"? Why didn't you buy something engineered to roll on coils? Coils turns the lr3 into a piece of crap

Same stupid thing used to happen with the old Audi allroad. People would buy one used, need to replace worn air suspension parts then convert it to coil springs. Should have just bought a similar A6 wagon in the first place.
Arnott Industries sold lots of aftermarket allroad air suspension parts at lower costs than OEM, and they worked just as well. Maybe they now sell LR3 air suspension parts as well.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same stupid thing used to happen with the old Audi allroad. People would buy one used, need to replace worn air suspension parts then convert it to coil springs. Should have just bought a similar A6 wagon in the first place.
Arnott Industries sold lots of aftermarket allroad air suspension parts at lower costs than OEM, and they worked just as well. Maybe they now sell LR3 air suspension parts as well.

Yes, Arnott sells lr3/4 air struts but now so does Bilstien with choices for either factory similar or upgraded 4600 series which I got.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the story on these 4600s? How are they upgraded per se?

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I've been researching LR3's for a while and searched for about a year before making my purchase in order to get the perfect one. I've read numerous threads comparing the 2 and understand both sides, but I don't see why one can say it turns it into 'complete crap'. For overlanding/off-road and for daily use, the coil conversion is tried and true and is really the only way to insure you won't be sitting on the bump stops in the middle the trail (with the exception of the spacer kit and straps- which even then is not perfect). The LR3 I ended up buying is in excellent shape but I purchased it knowing one of the front bags is leaking and the compressor is weak. I figure I can replace the bag and rebuild the compressor for cheap, but long term, I'm just not sure I want to continuously replace parts. I love the ride the car has currently and is a big reason I am weary about going with the AB 2"+ kit as appose to fixing and adding Johnson rods or similar to fit some 32's I'm planning for.

What is intriguing about the AB kit is the ability to maintain all the traction control and off-road select features built into the LR with the exception of the EAS. I'm curious as to why you guys really think a coil-conversion destroys the driving characteristics of the LR. From my understanding, some LR3's came from the factory with coils, so there has to have been some engineering and R&D behind the concept.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA