LR3 Tow Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

swelltracker

LR3 Tow Wiring HELP!

Anyone install a generic 4-pin wiring harness? Where do you access the wires for install?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Michael

There is a trailer towing wiring kit available from LR for the LR3, which gets you the harness and recepticle at the rear. Then I believe you would use a generic adapter to go to the 4 pin.

S

swelltracker

Thanks for the tip, but I am one cheap dog....I used a test light to probe the plug that the LR harness connects to. I bought a $10 Hopkins 4-pin generic kit at Kragen and got it wired up just fine. I only tow a couple of times per year, so I do not care that I do not have the nice little plug mount that the LR kit has.

A

AZSTALZ

I just installed the LR Wiring Kit from British Pacific ($150) in just under an hour since I'm pulling a boat to Lake Powell on Wednesday. Nice kit and the receptacle has both the seven-round adapter and the four-pin adapter built-in. Still blows my mind why they just didn't wire it from the factory like every other stock truck out there... another way to make more money I guess!

S

schafari

I installed the wiring kit from Rover Connection I believe, and it was only $80. It includes not only the 7 pin, but the four pin as well IIRC.

L

lightweight

I have had my LR3 V6 for 1 year now - i love it – absolutely no problems at all, great off roading (not very often for me) and great road performance too.
However, I have never fitted a tow hitch or the wiring. I’m pretty handy, is it something I can do or am I kidding myself?

luis_wilhelm

Reaction score
I think this is an easy install to do. As someone said, the hardest part might be taking the spare tire down to run the wire. Look for the instructions in the Land Rover user's site for a better picture of the job needed (I can send by e-mail if you can't find this info).

rrover

Reaction score
It's totally true. The hardest or longest part is taking the spare tire down to run the wiring harness. It is a simple job. Just plug and play. Just don't use LED trailer lights. Mine cause a flash a couple times a second. Still working to fix that problem.
Easy project. No more than an hour.

Troy

S

schafari

After installing the LR tow wire harness, the hardest thing to me was running, concealing, and protecting the wire behind the bumber. There is northing really hard at all about the whole install. It just may take some time as some spaces are tight. Very easy job however.

wires

Reaction score
G'day Troy
I do have a fix for your trailer LEDs blinking.

wires

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9