LR4 19s, Load Ratings and the Cooper Zeon vs Wrangler Adventure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.I do not know if they will fit in the spare well. I mean to order a 5th at ome point and will report back.

It'll fit no problem. You should order a 5th one asap, if you have a flat in front you may have transmission problems running the smaller spare with the new Goodyears.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everybody! Appreciate your insights and will be pulling the trigger soon. Keep the experiences coming!

ssmrubicon

Reaction score
Local discount tire installed my goodyears. 1900 miles and counting.

Scott

Edit: corrected the mileage, it's over 1900 now.

Last edited:

mdcgalt

Reaction score
Ok I have it narrowed down to the Good Year Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar or the Cooper Zeon LTZ's. Can anyone who bought the GYs tell me what you paid per tire from Discount. NTB wants $295 a tire. Tread Depot has them for $236 but I really don't want to mess with shipping to me etc.

And just for my own sake has anyone seriously considered the Nitto Crossteks? NTB is pushing them hard and they seem to get pretty good reviews. Just curious
thanks

ssmrubicon

Reaction score
95% on road and only a couple snow runs. Most trails are closed here for the winter.

DH 07

Reaction score
As a follow-up to my previous post, I wanted to share some personal observations about the new Goodyear tire that I mounted. Below are some objective, empirical and subjective observations, but the punchline is that I disliked them so much due to ride harshness (stiffness) that I switched to the Coopers the next day (thanks to my accomodating local tire shop) and have been happy with the Coopers since.

Objective:
- The GY fit the spare wheel well with no problems, as others have noted
- There was absolutely no rubbing or clearance issues with the GY, as others have noted
- Overall increase in ground clearance was just short of 0.5", as expected (diameter is 1" greater)

Empirical:
- The GY's were incredibly stiff. I've had a fair number of AT tires on various trucks (BFG's, Revo's, Silent Armors, MTs, etc) and this tire was off the chart. I first had the tires overinflated by the shop (stiff), reduced the tire pressure to OEM specs (still stiff) and then took out 5 lbs at each corner (still stiff, even with some sag in the tire). I could feel every imperfection in the road. I had rattles and movement of items in my center console and glovebox that I did not have with the Coopers or the Contis. The entire feel of the truck changed and honestly made it unpleasant to drive. I thought the whole Kevlar thing was marketing, but I'm told by the manager at the tire shop that they have seen this comment before from customers and that they attribute it to the Kevlar construction and tire compound (it does have a 620 treadwear rating).
- The GY's, however, were very quiet.
- The Coopers have a noticeable hum (more like white noise) at highway speeds, but it is not bad relative to aggressive tires.
- The Coopers are a touch stiffer than the Conti's, but pretty darn close to stock.
- The snowstorm that hit the Northeast over the last 2 days allowed a decent chance to run the Coopers in fresh and packed snow. The tires performed predictably, but were on par with most A/T tires. They did a better job of gaining forward momentum than braking, as expected. I did not notice any bad habits with lateral movement.

Subjective:
- Even though the GY's were larger in diameter, the Coopers look a lot better to my eye. Something about the GY's seemed very esthetically boring to me and although they filled the wheel well better, they somehow made the truck look dull (like a Jeep Commander from a distance (gasp)).
- Based on the siping patterns, I believe the GY's would have been better in the snow than the Coopers.
- There is a nice peace of mind, which I underestimated, with the higher load and speed rating of the Coopers.

I know others have had success with the GY's, and I'm happy for them. But for me and my butt (and spine), the Coopers were the better choice.

I hope this helps!

Dan

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DHO7,
Did you buy a 5th GY? Does it fit in the spare tire area under the truck? Did you have to air down?

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but I also had a 2012 WK2 V8 Overland/ ORA II with Silent Armor's....after 7 months it went back to Chrysler and I bought my 2012 LR4. Curious as to your circumstances.

Cheers,

Chris

DH 07

Reaction score
Hi Chris (Bromhead),

Yes, the GY fit with no issues - no need to air down at all.

As for my decision to move to the LR4 from the WK2, there were a couple of factors:

- The Jeep was a fantastic value - still think so. However, the transmission and its programming really bugged me (was often in the wrong gear and slow to downshift). It had about the same power as the LR4 and weighs considerably less, but it seemed to have to work a lot harder to achieve similar performance. In addition, there were enough odd noises and oscillations in the vehicle to make me doubt its longevity / reliability (at least the one I had).

- The second main factor was... I've always wanted a Land Rover! The better drivetrain, more refined interior, better air suspension and cavernous interior space made the decision pretty easy once I found the right one (thanks to transientmechanic for that).

How about you?

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72