LR4 19s, Load Ratings and the Cooper Zeon vs Wrangler Adventure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, as we all know there are **** poor choices for LR4 19" tires and it appears that only the Adventure and Zeon fit...but neither are LT in 19". Not a tire expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Wranglers have a standard passenger load rating...which is basically equivalent to a LT B or C? Heck, the Contis have a XL, as do the Cooper Zeons. Other than tread design, it appears the Contis are a better tire than the Wrangler Adventures. This leaves me with the Cooper Zeons as the only choice for 19" wheels and light to moderate off roading. Am I breaking this down correctly?

And no, I don't want to spend the money on 18" wheels, new TPMS and spacers.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Cooper Zeon LTZs on my 2011 and 2013 LR4 (have since gone to 18" wheels) and really liked them on and off the road. They were very capable off road, with my only caution is that the side walls may be a bit weak over sharp rocks/terrain. I think the Wranglers have Kevlar. What type of terrain are you in? If you are sticking with 19", then I recommend the Coopers.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the DC area, so it's a mix of terrain and weather. And yes, I'm going to stick to the 19s for now.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the DC area, so it's a mix of terrain and weather. And yes, I'm going to stick to the 19s for now.
I think there was only one guy on the forum (though I could be wrong) who went with the new 255/55R19 Wranglers - but not sure if he wrote a review on and off the road?

There are a bunch of folks with the Coopers and all seem to be very happy. I was very happy with mine and used them off road quite a bit.

Disco4Play

Reaction score
I took the advice of everyone on this forum and just put a set of the Coopers on my 12' LR4 and they are sweet! Great ride and really quiet. You can't go wrong!

mdcgalt

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been reading and researching for the past 4 days on this forum and other forums for the past several days about the best 255/55 R19 tires for my 2012 LR4 HSE LUX. It seems that there is not true consensus on the best on and off road tire for this size. My OEM Continentals are almost gone at 14,200 miles, which is a total joke but that is for another thread. I live in Dallas and need a good city/hwy tire 90% of the time and a good tire with tough sidewalls for West Texas for the mesquite, cactus, and rocks. Here is what I have found to be the top choices for 255/55 r 19’s:
Toyo Proxes st II’s
Cooper Zeons LTZs
Nitto Crosteks
Nitto NT 421 or 420s
Nokians WR G2’s
Michelin Latitudes
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
Pirelli Scorpion zeros
Hankook Ventus
And the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar in 255/60 r19

My top choices are the Nitto Crosteks, Cooper Zeons, Michelin Latitudes, or the Goodyear Wrangler Adventures with Kevlar if they fit. I would really appreciate any 1st hand experience, knowledge from everyone on any of these.
Thanks,
Marc in Dallas

DH 07

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and ExPo. After mooching much information from helpful posters over the years, I thought I would try to add something to the dialogue.

I picked up a new 2013 HSE Lux last week (with the HD package!) and the first order of business was to swap out the stock Conti's. BTW, I enlisted the services of Adam at Over Hill & Dale to find the right truck -- he was great to work with.

I have the 19" wheels and did not want to invest in the Compomotives. I wanted an A/T tire that performed well in the snow (I live in the Northeast) and could be kept on the vehicle year-round. That left me with the same decision set as the OP: the Cooper Zeons and the new Goodyears.

I think that the pros and cons have been well debated on the forums, but the main variables that I tried to weigh were:

- The Coopers had a good track record on and off-road, had the same load rating (111) and were H-rated for speed (not essential, but nice to have), but some using the tire have been disappointed with its winter performance.

- The Goodyears offered more sidewall and a slight increase in ground clearance and should be better in the snow (as the same tread pattern qualifies for the mountain snowflake symbol on some builds of the tire, and the pattern is similar to the Silent Armors). However it is only rated at 109 with a T-speed rating.

I had a set of Silent Armors on a previous Grand Cherokee (WK2) and I really liked them: they performed exceptionally well in the snow and on wet roads, but were hard to balance.

In the end, I chose the Goodyears. The load ratings are very close and frankly, I don't tow or load up the truck (it is usually just me and gear, maybe one other buddy). I thought it would be rare for me to be driving the Goodyears and wanting that extra bit of load rating (or the ability to drive over 118mph -- the LR4 is governed at 121 anyway), but I could very well be driving the Coopers in the snow and have regrets. The extra sidewall was also nice to have.

I don't have enough time on the tires to provide an informed review, but will post back as I have some time in the saddle (so far, the tires are quiet and seem a touch stiffer than the stock Conti's). I can, however, provide pics...

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    776.1 KB · Views: 235
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    982.9 KB · Views: 221
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    718.9 KB · Views: 191

Flocker

Reaction score
I am one of the ones that put the GY Wrangler Adv Kevlar in 255/60r19 (stock is 255/55). I have about 3,000 miles on them (I'd guess 2,950 on the road and 50 on my lease, which is a mix of pasture, sandy trails, and some pretty nasty muddy, rutted roads with a lot of deadfall logs etc.) My observations for the group:

1. I love them so far. They are quiet, well balanced, and have been great in wet, light snow and have done everything I've asked off road.

2. I have a little more sidewall than you all (6 in vs 5.5), which looks good (IMO) but the overall diameter increase of 3.3% does cause a slight speedo difference at hwy speed (speedo reading of 65, actual speed 67.2). http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=255-55r19-255-60r19

3. The 109 tyres are rated for the truck. (the math has been done here and on ExPo, and LR puts OEM 109's on the 20 inch rim). If you relish in obstacles and are into rock crawling etc, your needs may be different.

4. Sounds like the coopers are well-liked as well. If I ruined all 4 GYs, I would buy 4 more tomorrow. I kept the BS Duelers that were on the truck, but I am going to try and get rid of them.

4.I do not know if they will fit in the spare well. I mean to order a 5th at ome point and will report back.

Flocker

Reaction score
I have the GY Wrangler AT Adv Kevlar in 255/60r19. I wrote a semi-thoughtful review, but it seems to have been eaten. A quick summary (apologies if it double posted):

I love them, slightly taller (6 in sidewall vs your 5.5). Great so far on and off road (est. 2950 miles on and 50 miles off road through some pretty nasty sandy muddy trails on a southern hunting lease. Quiet and well balanced. 3.3% speedo reading error at hwy speed.

Would recommend for use like mine, and I am personally not concerned about 109 rating. LR ships OEM 109s on the 20" rim.

Disco4Play

Reaction score
I liked the Good Year's with the Kevlar reinforced sidewall and also the Cooper Zeon's. My local Discount Tire said no to the Good Years. 109 wasn't enough and said they couldn't sell me the Good Year's. So I went with the Coopers with a 111 rating. Haven't looked back. Love them!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM