Wheels and Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they do do is keep your suspension components and CV joints at more extreme angles, raise your center of gravity, and rob your suspension of downtravel. Why not just keep it stock and raise it higher only when needed?
Interesting perspective. My reasoning was a little different: increase clearance and increase approach/departure angles over stock. I'm not sure that 2" or so of lift appreciably changes the overall amount of travel available at each corner. When my tires are stuffed up into the wheel wells, I think they're pretty much on the bump stops now, and I don't think the limiting straps provided by Lucky 8 are limiting droop travel very much.

I did get the SYA kit, which is where any reduction in compression travel would come from, I suspect. The lift rods, I thought, were more about keeping the height sensors working within the sweet spot in their range.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lift rods make the ECU believe the truck is lower than it is, thus it corrects it by raising it until the sensors read "normal". This is why folks suggests you can achieve the same results with IID: just change what "normal" means, and you can save yourself the cost of rods. Lifting using either method does not change where the bump stops are, so if you depend on your lift to run larger wheels, should you experience a system failure you would be stuck unable to move due to the tires fouling against the fender liners (before reaching the bump stops). The SYA kit lowers the bumps stops to match the lift, thereby preserving clearance if you lose pressure and drop to the bump stops. I think people's point against rods is that you should look to lift only when you actually need the additional approach/breakover/departure angles, and you could do that via IID on-demand (or using something like the xlifter). The rest of the time, you would be better served leaving things at normal height where you aren't putting additional stress on the driveline (CV joins, mostly).

Haris

Reaction score
Got a 2012 LR4 that had 19" OEM wheels and I replaced with 20 x 8.5" aftermarket wheels with 265/50/R20 Toyo Open Country A/T 3 tires. The offset is pretty close to fitting in the wheel well with very little overhang, however, there is some. At road height the front tires do lightly hit the frame rail on a full wheel lock and any non-level ground. At off-road height there is no rubbing at all. I have since installed Proud Rhino's lift arms which places the vehicle at approximately the off-road height by tricking the system into keeping the airbags filled. Pics to follow if I weren't so lazy. :sleep:

So, on to the question; I want to drop down to 18" wheels due to the availability issues we're all cognizant of already. However, I need a suggestion of a simple, low-cost wheel that'll fit. I wish someone still made the steel "NATO wheels" that Atlantic British and others carried several years ago. The Terrafirma steelies are cool, but they require the use of spacers to clear the brake rotors, and in doing so void's being able to use Discount Tire's lifetime balancing and rotation service, as their lawyers forbid the use of spacers. Suggestions??
Hi, I have a 2015 LR4, which I wanted to take on Offroad trips. I moved to 18" Tuffant steelies which do not need spacers (they sell 2 versions, one with an offset). I use these with 265/65/18 KO2, and its been a great experience. Great ride, very little rubbing anymore (in the very beginning there was some at full lock). Also, I air them down to about 20 or less when going Offroad, and its been very pleasant.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 112

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@msdavenport87 I run lift rods on my rig fulltime, I also have the sya kit. Yeah, I like the way it looks as well...and I like the way it offroads. If you want to see how I wheel it then you can pop onto @northbeachrovers on instagram and check it out. I've put a lot of offroad miles on my rig over the past 5 years and have had zero issues with my setup. Everyone has an opinion in these forums and I found most of these opinions are built on other opinions and very rarely are they based on actual application. Oh, I also run poly bushings all the way around...no issues there either.

tdarling

Reaction score
Hello I am thinking of getting the Toyo all weather A/T III. I live in San Diego and mostly roads for 80%, the Mammoth Mountain 5/6 times a year can get serious snow and wet.
Also go to Baja Mexico where once you get off the road you will hit dirt/gravel/sand/rock roads. As I said its mostly around town. For someone that has these tires what are your thoughts? Also are they quiet? They look noisy but they also look rugged. Awating your replies. Thanks
Timothy

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello I am thinking of getting the Toyo all weather A/T III. I live in San Diego and mostly roads for 80%, the Mammoth Mountain 5/6 times a year can get serious snow and wet.
Also go to Baja Mexico where once you get off the road you will hit dirt/gravel/sand/rock roads. As I said its mostly around town. For someone that has these tires what are your thoughts? Also are they quiet? They look noisy but they also look rugged. Awating your replies. Thanks
Timothy
I love them, better in every metric than BFG ATs. Louder than a street tire obv, but not a loud tire.

modesto_man

Reaction score
The lift rods make the ECU believe the truck is lower than it is, thus it corrects it by raising it until the sensors read "normal". This is why folks suggests you can achieve the same results with IID: just change what "normal" means, and you can save yourself the cost of rods. Lifting using either method does not change where the bump stops are, so if you depend on your lift to run larger wheels, should you experience a system failure you would be stuck unable to move due to the tires fouling against the fender liners (before reaching the bump stops). The SYA kit lowers the bumps stops to match the lift, thereby preserving clearance if you lose pressure and drop to the bump stops. I think people's point against rods is that you should look to lift only when you actually need the additional approach/breakover/departure angles, and you could do that via IID on-demand (or using something like the xlifter). The rest of the time, you would be better served leaving things at normal height where you aren't putting additional stress on the driveline (CV joins, mostly).
I just reread this post. Well explained!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timothy
They are almost as quiet as the OEM tires. I've had mine for about 30,000 miles and they've held up pretty well. Have had them in pretty much every condition except heavy mud.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 19" wheel, they are probably the best all terrain tire you can get.

For the 18" wheel, I'd look elsewhere if you are shopping for 265/65/18 size. The sidewall on the Toyos is rated too low in that size for the LR4.

Turismo Kid

Reaction score
I second the Defender steelies. If you search craigslist or Facebook marketplace for the steelies off of the new Defender there are some pretty good deals out there. I run the with 265/65/18 KO2s and they fit great, but FYI its a HEAVY setup, like 100lbs per corner. If you don't like white, get them powder coated or something. I ran them with the stock Defender Michelin rubber for a few thousand miles but then tore a sidewall and decided to upgrade. The stock Defender tires are a bit too large anyway, they rub slightly at full lock and rub pretty heavily on the frame horns when articulating off-road. No issues at with the KO2s. I'm super happy with the setup.

If I had 19s I probably wouldn't have switched, there are fewer options for tires, but the selection is still sufficient. My 2016 came with 20s, and that just wouldn't do, and if I was going to switch I thought I might as well go to 18.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA