LR4 Brake Problems and LR support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theofam

Reaction score
I'm a noob, and feel like I'm not alone in the world after reading this thread!

This is my first LR, and it looks and feels wonderful, but my problems have been many.

As for brakes and rotors, I, too, have never experienced such an insatiable appetite in any other auto.

At 10,000 miles I was told rear brakes were at 40% and fronts brakes were at 60% remaining life. The dealer let me know I should expect replacement of rear pads and rotors at 15,000 miles based on then current attrition! I was gobsmacked. When asking why this occurs, I was told "they're heavy."

Sure enough, at 15K, rears were at 10% remaining (front 50%) and, $545 later, I had new rear rotors and pads.

The tires also started to show significant wear by 10K. I had an alignment done at 12K and moved front tires to rear/vice versa. Now the fronts are wearing ******* their edges even post alignment. Haven't even had it off road, and I'm not really into jumping curbs. Tires need replacing badly now at 17K.

While I completely agree we can't expect perfection from any vehicle (numerous electrical issues and camera gremlins have proven the LR4 is nowhere close), I've been disappointed with the rate at which the LR4 chews through consumables (brakes, tires). It's unlike any SUV or car I've ever owned over the past 27 years.

Whew, that was almost cathartic. Thanks for letting me vent!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. I'm just as dumbfounded as you are as to why a modern vehicle would have such consumption. For a brand that is trying to put to bed the gremlins of unreliability and high cost of ownership, one can only wonder why the brakes were not designed to have more durability and longevity.

I will say that ownership was a big surprise both good and bad. With relatively few issues other than cameras, failed window feature and an occasional blank screen, my ownersip was very pleasant. With that said, my dealer experience really ruined it for me.

Rob

p-dawger

Reaction score
I'm a noob, and feel like I'm not alone in the world after reading this thread!

This is my first LR, and it looks and feels wonderful, but my problems have been many.

As for brakes and rotors, I, too, have never experienced such an insatiable appetite in any other auto.

At 10,000 miles I was told rear brakes were at 40% and fronts brakes were at 60% remaining life. The dealer let me know I should expect replacement of rear pads and rotors at 15,000 miles based on then current attrition! I was gobsmacked. When asking why this occurs, I was told "they're heavy."

Sure enough, at 15K, rears were at 10% remaining (front 50%) and, $545 later, I had new rear rotors and pads.

The tires also started to show significant wear by 10K. I had an alignment done at 12K and moved front tires to rear/vice versa. Now the fronts are wearing ******* their edges even post alignment. Haven't even had it off road, and I'm not really into jumping curbs. Tires need replacing badly now at 17K.

While I completely agree we can't expect perfection from any vehicle (numerous electrical issues and camera gremlins have proven the LR4 is nowhere close), I've been disappointed with the rate at which the LR4 chews through consumables (brakes, tires). It's unlike any SUV or car I've ever owned over the past 27 years.

Whew, that was almost cathartic. Thanks for letting me vent!

I guess I am gobsmacked at why you would replace brakes with 10% remaining. You left 5-7k on the table which would be about exactly right around 23-25k you need rear brakes...which is right on. Also you replaced the rear rotors why? Complete and total waste of money and resources. Maybe and just maybe on the 3rd rear brake change you would need to replace rear rotors. (two changes for the front) Like I said before pads are cheap and take 10 min per side to replace...LR4 OEM pads for the rear are less than $100. Not sure why you guys let the dealer take you for a ride like that. Brakes and tires are consumables. 25k rear and 40k front is about all you can ask for with a 7k lb vehicle.

How you get around that is buy the parts online at wholesale prices and do the work yourself. If you can change a tire - you can change brake pads. Spend thirty minutes grab some beer and enjoy saving tons of money.

As a data point my LR4 has 26k on it and I have 25% left on the rear pads, 70% left on front pads. I will do the brakes on the rear likely this fall and can do a step by step write up with pics and show you how really simple it is.

My Disco 2 has 200k on it, handles brakes the same way.

As far as tires for the LR4 - you HAVE TO KEEP THE TIRE PRESSURES DEAD ON - it is double important in a vehicle like this. You need to check tires pressures once a month depending on where you live. Even being down 2-3 lbs on air will destroy a set of tires quickly. I run and extra 2-5lbs in the front. In addition make sure your alingment tech knows how to align properly - its and art, not a science. And tire rotations, you have more camber in the rear by OEM spec so they will wear on the insides, on the front you have more toe, they will wear on the outside...ROTATE them every 10k. It is key for combatting the consumables.

My tires will need replacement in the spring with probably 30-35k on them. Again - that seems fairly resonable for a 7k vehicle.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that with only 10% left on the rear pads, he avoided a future trip to the dealership in a few months. I can personally tell you, taking any of my vehicles to the dealer any more than I have to is a total pain in the butt. For me, it's another source of frustration.

I agree that it is very easy to replace the pads and even rotors. But it's not for everyone. I still think that the premature wear of the brakes is a huge issue.

Rob

p-dawger

Reaction score
I would guess that with only 10% left on the rear pads, he avoided a future trip to the dealership in a few months. I can personally tell you, taking any of my vehicles to the dealer any more than I have to is a total pain in the butt. For me, it's another source of frustration.

I agree that it is very easy to replace the pads and even rotors. But it's not for everyone. I still think that the premature wear of the brakes is a huge issue.

Rob

I hear you. It's the nature of the beast. All I am saying is that there are ways to mitigate the frustration. I guess in my mind I reason out a car repair vs my time. My time is far more valuable than money (with 3 kids) so sure I can spend a day crawling around underneath my car to fix something, pull an engine or drop the tranny etc...but it is more a time thing.

I recently had to replace the RMS (rear main seal) in my 01 Disco...dealer was like $1100, provate shop like $900...I took it to the dealer. Free rental, no hassle drop off, 12/12 warranty. An RMS is like $45 for the part and sure like I said I could have dropped the tranny and raised the engine to do it - that is an entire wasted weekend basically.

Point is brakes - simple, cheap, easy. And if that is the largest single complaint about the LR4...its not that bad...$100 every 25k miles for pads is not outrageous at all.

Better than doing a rebuild on the 911 racecar every 250 hours.....

Just my 02.

Theofam

Reaction score
Crewcabrob, thanks for sharing in my pain! Outside of rotors, pads and tires, sounds like we experienced similar gremlins.

P-dawger, I don't follow your math that I left 5-7K miles on the pads. Between 10-15K miles they went from 40% to 10% remaining. 30% degradation over 5K miles tells me I maybe had 1,600 miles left. Not willing to take the risk of crushing a Smart42 because I was trying to squeeze the final miles out of the pads.

Maybe I was duped into buying the rotors, but both the alignment shop and the dealership told me they were toast.

Good to know the brake pads are a simple replacement. I'm off to buy a floor jack before the fronts need replacing!

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at the Land Rover, I also considered a Lexus GX 460. I visited a few Lexus dealerships. One dirtbag of a salesman in a lame attempt to bash the competitor, told me that "Land Rover is like a supermodel, looks gorgeous and rides well, but is super high maintenance".

Contrary to the anticipated results, I liked that analogy very much, left the Lexus dealership and bought a LR the next day. As I am looking forward to replacing rotors, pads, tires etc at 10k miles, it's all worth it.

p-dawger

Reaction score
Crewcabrob, thanks for sharing in my pain! Outside of rotors, pads and tires, sounds like we experienced similar gremlins.

P-dawger, I don't follow your math that I left 5-7K miles on the pads. Between 10-15K miles they went from 40% to 10% remaining. 30% degradation over 5K miles tells me I maybe had 1,600 miles left. Not willing to take the risk of crushing a Smart42 because I was trying to squeeze the final miles out of the pads.

Maybe I was duped into buying the rotors, but both the alignment shop and the dealership told me they were toast.

Good to know the brake pads are a simple replacement. I'm off to buy a floor jack before the fronts need replacing!

Are you aware that you have brake pad wear sensors...? Why even touch the brakes until that comes on (they are cheap to replace less than $20)...you had 5-7k left easy.

There is no such thing as rotors "toasted" at 10k or even 40k...not unless you are lapping at Daytona.

Part of the problem with the reputation this vehicle gets is that people don't know anything regarding maintanence and service (intervals). The dealer will take you for a ride everytime. People pay ridiculous service fees and replace parts that are not even worn.

The only thing that can physically happen to a rotor is that it will warp - you will not feel pulsing from warped rotors on the rear, only the front when you apply the brakes...it is an annoyance - not dangerous. Also you will never run out of brakes with low pads as in the vehicle will not stop. In the worst case you will wear the pads down to the metal backing and cause that to rub the rotor, thus ruining it (you will actually stop better and quicker, just really noisy ;-) so there is fear in running over anyone. Like I said you had left alot on the table. How in the world did an alignment shop realize you need new rear rotors? Avoid that shop also. You can do simple and quick and free alignments at home with a laser level, some string and some patience as well.

Warped rotors occur from over torqued wheels - or like I said if you are lapping at Daytona...

Wheel torque is very important. Air guns and aluminum rims do no mix - at all. Think about it, you have a cast iron rotor bolted to an aluminum wheel. Each contracts and expands at different rates with thermal expansion. If the wheel is torqued too tight something has to give. Aluminum does not warp, cast iron does.

Before you pay for anything at the dealer - look it up here first. You will be shocked what they are making on you.

http://www.landrovermerriamparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215719

PS - find another dealer or do the work yourself.

Last edited:

p-dawger

Reaction score
The Captain is in the house...

Attachments

• david_coleman.jpg
    david_coleman.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 55

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members