LR4 brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand rotors did you use?

You've pretty much changed all the parts I'd think it could be, so it could be one of those has gone bad already.

LCAs typically last around 60k miles or more, although it's not beyond the realm of possibility that ones could go bad at 44k miles. What LCA and bushings did you use?

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is significant pad material affixed to the disk, causing variances in thickness, presenting itself as the wobble and shimmy.

Pads and rotors by different providers differ drastically in quality. And the cheaper the replacements, the shorter the life and poorer the braking performance. In the short term, a sanding of the rotor may be helpful.

RoverTide

Reaction score
What brand rotors did you use?

You've pretty much changed all the parts I'd think it could be, so it could be one of those has gone bad already.

LCAs typically last around 60k miles or more, although it's not beyond the realm of possibility that ones could go bad at 44k miles. What LCA and bushings did you use?
The previous owner had all that work done... I have the receipts, but don't see the brands listed with the parts.

That. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is significant pad material affixed to the disk, causing variances in thickness, presenting itself as the wobble and shimmy.

Pads and rotors by different providers differ drastically in quality. And the cheaper the replacements, the shorter the life and poorer the braking performance. In the short term, a sanding of the rotor may be helpful.

Thats a good thought, I will take the wheels off and take a look at the disc surfaces and see if that could be the culprit. I realize these things eat brakes, but 11k miles seems a bit premature for new discs.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about what I've read for disc life if cheaper discs are used.

Hell, I even had problems with EBC rotors after around 20k miles, and a lot of people love those.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Just closing out my experience on this topic. Replaced Rotors and pads and greased caliper pins. Bought the Zimmerman rotors with the Akebono ceramic pads. Completely solved the shimmy issue. They had gotten progressively more warped by the day, to the point where the shimmy was constant even without the brakes applied. No idea what caused it/them to warp. They were JLR pads, not sure about the rotors as there were no markings on them. Only thing that seemed odd, was that the passenger side rotor was stuck to the hub pretty good. Hate that I had to replace brakes so prematurely, but at least she is back to her smooth riding self. Here is a picture of how much pad was left on those brakes... very unfortunate.

Attachments

• Brake Pads.jpg
    Brake Pads.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72