LR4 in high cross winds situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This think is built like a tank, period. Thanks to all that mass/weight and that lower center of gravity.

Its been pretty windy last few days here in LA with strong gusty bursts, etc, specially last night as I was driving home.

Inside the cabin it was like, I know that there is chaos outside, but the feeling in here is of being comfortable, cozy, and well-secured.

I could here the loud gusts hitting the body on the sides or the front but never for even a fraction of a second the truck felt unsettled or moved, as if it was simply not impressed with what it was being presented and challenged with :)

And the freeway ride was smooth, safe and sound at 70 mph.

I love this damn thing, ha.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can typically tell wind direction based on my fuel milage. :D

Headwind? subtract 3mpg... lol

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the cabin it was like, I know that there is chaos outside, but the feeling in here is of being comfortable, cozy, and well-secured.

I know and love that feeling, too. Driving into howling wind or lashing rain or snow is something I look forward to. I always have the feeling: "I'm in exactly the right vehicle for this." Sometimes I'll even choose some ironic music like an aria or opera to underscore the fact that I'm encased in rugged luxury!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all fun and games until the a pillar trim pieces fly off lol.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This fall during the fires, I had the A pillar plastic fly off a Ford Explorer down on the Crowsnest,(Hwy 3), one gusty day when an approaching semi passed. The A pillar plastic has not let go yet on my 3 however. The Explorer, (company car), really amuses me as so much of its design is a copy of the 3, but ten years later. Ford really used our 3's as test mules for much of their higher end production - even has our rotary "traction" mode dial.

I just got back from Calgary today; was a -20C drive up today and yesterday from Fernie BC in the Rockies, going thru Nanton, -30C once out of the foothills into on the prairies. I was driving with only my vest on - heaters are working good.

https://www.nanton.ca/177/Attractions

Regarding cross winds, no semis were blown off the Cowboy Highway, Alberta #22, on Tuesday, but the west winds off the foothills do test the 3 somewhat. For what it is worth, when I have a tailwind coming out the Crowsnest Pass, I gain maybe 3 mpg and the vehicle wind noise drops to near zero.

The jpg is of main street Fernie, a rather nice ski area in Southern British Columbia.

http://www.fernie.ca/EN/main/visitors.html

Fernie Victoria Avenue.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In truly bad winds in the same area BByer describes (in semi flipping winds) I take my Honda Ridgeline and leave the LR4 in the garage. The Honda deals with crosswinds better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM