LR4 Not Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but battery should be under warranty - either LR or manufacturers (most have 5 year warranty).....you should't have to pay a dime.

worth asking the question to the Dealer.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rovernut,
You are absolutely right. But for my personal situation, it's worth going down the street and changing the battery than calling the dealer, making an appointment sometime in the future, being without a car for a couple of days, and hope they do the work right when I pick it up. Not that I am rich, but all that hassle is worth more than the price of the battery.

I have no experience with LR. The only parallelism I bring in is the stupid batteries that Honda puts on their vans. Suckers last 12 month, and it was worth it for me to get a decent aftermarket one that lasted 4+ years and not have to worry about my wife calling with the "battery is dead again" story. And you know she would call at the worst possible time, like when I am out of town or with a client.

So my question was more around, are LR OEM batteries crap, and if anyone had experience with aftermarket batteries lasting longer. Then, for me and my situation, I would have enough data to decide on buying aftermarket and not spending time at dealer. It may sound crazy, but some things, even under warranty, I would just do myself to save time. The only plus of going to the dealer would be to sit inside the new RRs. The negative is I may walk out of there with one....:creep:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll get a lot of bang for your buck with an AGM battery (absorbed glass mat technology also decreases the chances of acid leaks and spills, which can be catastrophic in our cars given the battery's proximity to delicate electronic components and CJB), when the time comes I plan on replacing my stock battery with a Sears Advanced Gold size 49 / H8, perfect size for the LR4: http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...p-02850749000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1. It's a bit more expensive than your average flooded battery, but well worth it in my opinion.

In my experience with the Sport I owned from 2005 until early this year, the stock battery lasted until a split second after my factory warranty was up... YMMV, but the stock batteries are not very good in my opinion. Land Rover dealers in the US usually replace them with same size Interstates, which are a big improvement already (the flooded units in the LR4 are made by Varta in Europe and n/a here in the US.)

Last edited:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Umbertob. My BMW X5 had huge battery issues and the switch to an AMG solved my issues.

With BMW the battery had to be registered with the vehicle so that the alternator and all the electronics "played" together and battery got proper charge..which meant you needed to know how to code the ECM/ECU or a trip to the dealer was needed.....guess the good news is that LR no longer sources motors from BMW so this may not be an issue.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 has a similar system (BMS - Battery Management System), I'm afraid. It's that funky looking box attached to the negative lead of the battery. After you replace the battery you should eventually (not right away, but don't wait weeks, either) pay a visit to the dealer to reset / recalibrate the BMS, or you may have trouble down the road. If you have a diagnostic tool - such as IIDTool - you can reset the BMS yourself. They are starting to include these modules on newer cars equipped with power sensitive technology, such as engine start-stop systems.

PS: To the original poster, in your shoes just because of that I'd take a trip to the dealer and have them replace the battery under warranty, letting them handle the BMS procedure (and they can also test your alternator, you never know if that one may be bad and causing your battery to fail prematurely.) I understand it's a hassle to get down there, but it will be an even bigger hassle explaining to them how you failed to reset the BMS after replacing the battery on your own, should something go wrong with your electrical system in a few months.

Last edited:

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update. Back from dealer, as I suspected by now, that is all it was. Went there since it seemed a lot more involved, gladly i just showed up and told them the battery kept dying and they fit me within an hour, was done in less than 2 hours.
The tech parked up front and I saw the car so I walked out and asked him if it was just the battery, he said yup, that was it. Asked him if he had to reset the battery maintenance system, and he said no, nothing like that on this car, just new battery and reset your clock.

So I went inside to do paperwork with the service leader. He mentioned the original factory battery, they never know how long it sat on shelf and many have early failures. And that they replace them with Interstate units that should be a lot better. I asked him if they had to reset the BSM, he also said no, not in this car, as long as the battery hasn't been out for days, nothing to reset besides the clock.

Everything seems to be working fine, thanks all for your help.

Charlotte Land Rover is a dangerous place for car nuts, sharing the space with Porsche and BMW, lots of car candy to look at and sit on. Leave your checkbook at home.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked him if they had to reset the BSM, he also said no, not in this car, as long as the battery hasn't been out for days, nothing to reset besides the clock.

Maybe they just didn't feel like doing it. :biggrin: The battery care and maintenance manual for the LR4 is pretty clear about it:

8 BATTERY REPLACEMENT

If it is determined that a battery requires replacement, always refer to the appropriate section of the workshop manual for instructions on removing and installing the battery from the vehicle.

On in service vehicles fitted with a Battery Monitoring System (BMS), the BMS module must be reset following the installation of a new battery. The BMS module reset procedure must be performed using an approved diagnostic system.

Perhaps given the relatively young age of your battery they must have determined they didn't need to reset the module. In any event, good to hear you got an Interstate in there, it's a quality cell that will outlast your recently dead unit, for sure.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob, where is that in the users or shop manual? I couldn't find it in mine. I am never surprised of dealers missing critical work, my wife drove home one time from the Honda dealer with one lug nut per wheel after they put in new tires on our minivan.
But will like to bring this to their attention. I have the shop manual, over 7500 pages though... Thanks

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chapter 414-00: Battery and Charging System - General Information - Battery Care Requirements

BP 15LR4

Reaction score
IzzyandSue - has your problem ever reoccurred? I am having this same problem at the moment. Dealer changed battery - two days later I had the problem again. Then they changed the "auxiliary battery" for the EcoStart/Stop. Worked for two days again....then problem reappears?

Does anyone know the real source of the problem and its solution? Help?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM