LR4 Pre-purchase tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my used 2013 LUX made it up from Florida and I test drove it today. Seems solid. There are some paint scuffs CarMax is going to take care of. Then I buy it and have 5 days to have my mechanic look it over. So I trust him for all the engine, drivetrain, suspension, stuff. He's good.

The car has 50K miles on it. Looks pretty good.
Is there anything you would recommend I look at prior to purchase?

I don't think it has the Nav DVD for my state, but I'm probably out of luck there and will have to buy it. I'm not sure if they are regional or not. When I brought up the Nav it said "Off road" but I didn't muck with it for long.

Wasn't sure if there is anything in particular I should check for operation?

I test drove it. Seemed fine to me. I'll likely get the extended from CarMax with the vehicle.

Thanks!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see if the water pump is leaking. Already replaced it once on both our 2013's. Check the front suspension for wear, especially the lower control arm bushings and stabilizer bar bushings.

Check the brakes - I doubt they are original but you never know. Just replaced my fronts for the first time at 55K miles.

If the battery is original, that is probably on the way out as well.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see if the water pump is leaking. Already replaced it once on both our 2013's. Check the front suspension for wear, especially the lower control arm bushings and stabilizer bar bushings.

Check the brakes - I doubt they are original but you never know. Just replaced my fronts for the first time at 55K miles.

If the battery is original, that is probably on the way out as well.
It's funny... I have kept my mechanic updated and he's also raised concerns with the water pump. According to him, if I buy the LR4 he'd like to set a reminder to just replace that water pump every 80,000 miles. They have such a bad reliability record and when they fail, it's catastrophic.

Battery, brakes, check.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how wise it is to arbitrarily "schedule" a replacement water pump every 80K miles. My first water pump was replaced a few months after I purchased the car in 2013, the second just before the warranty was up. I am on my third, 80K+ miles and no problems thus far (but you may have jinxed it... :mad:) They rarely fail "catastrophically". Usually the bearings wear out and they start leaking just a little. The leak gets progressively worse, until you or your mechanic hopefully catch it when you either see a puddle, smell coolant from the air vents, or get the dreaded "Coolant Low" message in the dash.

Last edited:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover did have an issue with water pumps but the TSB only covers 2010-2012. It apparently was redesigned. Not sure a water pump failure is catastrophic, unless the owner doesn't pay attention to warning lights and the smell of anti-freeze and simply drives it until it overheats. Water pump issues are usually slow leaks.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how wise it is to arbitrarily "schedule" a replacement water pump every 80K miles. My first water pump was replaced a few months after I purchased the car in 2013, the second just before the warranty was up. I am on my third, 80K+ miles and no problems thus far (but you may have jinxed it... :mad:) They rarely fail "catastrophically". Usually the bearings wear out and they start leaking just a little. The leak get progressively worse, until you or your mechanic hopefully catch it when you either see a puddle or get the dreaded "Coolant Low" message in the dash.
Got it. So you are saying you usually have time to see the leak before it goes on you.
They do seem to go, though. Doesn't sound like manufacturing defects, sounds like a design flaw. May yours last you the duration, though!

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest you keep an eye on the coolant level from time to time, just to make sure the water pump isn't seeping. My '13 went through two in just 7k miles, and the second could've caused catastrophic damage as it had a severe leak. My tech saw the super low coolant level and found where it was leaking (when it was in for an alignment) just before I was to take a 1k mile road trip. Ever since, I've kept a jug of coolant nestled in the back somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys make me nervous. I have 52k on my 2013 and have never done anything with the water pump. I did have to top up the coolant once, but it has been fine.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is normal routine checks and maintenance, true for all vehicles. Nothing has changed over the years. When you turn on the ignition, do you listen for any change in sound or does your radio immediately come on and drown out what a vehicle is trying to tell you?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...When you turn on the ignition, do you listen for any change in sound or does your radio immediately come on and drown out what a vehicle is trying to tell you?
For me it's usually screaming kids and then me screaming back at them. It covers most noise variations. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM