LR4 purchase and recent road trip ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone !

I found this site just a few days ago, before the recent purchase of an LR4. I think its the most active and helpful of all the LR4 forums. For benefit of other potential buyers here are my views:

Notes from my recent trip:
I bought a 2011 Ipanema Sand LR4 recently and the very next day took my family on a 2000 mile (round-trip) skiing vacation to Colorado. The road conditions were better than what I expected due to less than normal snowfall this season in Colorado. Regardless of the amount of snow/ice on the road, I thought the LR4 performed remarkably. I felt confident which ever way I wanted to take it, and thats something for a resident of Texas (most Texas drivers dont see much snow ice to be adept drivers in such conditions). Ride was quiet and comfortable and my kids did not complain one bit.

Fuel economy was really a pleasant surprize. I got 20.3 mpg on the return trip and more than half of that journey was while cruising at 75 mph.

We did a little bit of what I would call off-roading (some ********* off-roaders will consider this a joke). We found a trail in a Colorado state park, which was open to ATVs and capable trucks/SUVs. I ventured off to my family's first-ever such adventure. Kids enjoyed it a lot. Wife was amused/happy. I could have gone into some more adventureous terrain but being the cautious middle aged husband/father that I am, I decided to keep things simple the first time around.
http://jawad.zenfolio.com/p689171811/h22b3f824#h208a31af

A little bit about my rationale to purchase:
Our family needed a vehicle that would be large enough to accomodate 7 adults when needed. I wanted real 3rd row seats not something that only little kids can use. I felt that was important as kids grow up and eventually a token 3rd row would become useless.

I also wanted a usable 3-seat 2nd row. This may sound strange but many vehicles now have 2 very comfortable seats in the 2nd row, but middle seat is so uncomfortable/hard/small that it is almost unsuable. This makes them essentialy 4 passenger vehicles with the 3rd row down.

I wanted a 4x4 vehicle capable of handling any inclement weather on the road and any off-road endeavors which I might decide to pursue with my family. Essentially I wanted to add a new dimension to our out door activities i.e. off-roading or going on a trail that we would not otherwise take.

I wanted a luxurious vehicle with quiet and comfortable ride for highway cruising and daily driving.

I wanted a vehicle capable of towing and being able to haul any cargo/stuff by folding down the seats.

We considred Lexus GX460, Acura MDX, Mazda CX9, Ford Expedition, Audi Q7, Mercedez GL450. They were either not capable enough or too expensive or did not have enough space. It was down to Ford Expedition and LR4. We did own an Expedition from 2004-2007 and it was a good vehicle to us. In the end LR4 is more off-road capable than Expedition. LR4 it is. So far so good !

After the trip, I am extremely happy and am wondering why I did not buy such a vehicle before (as I am always changing/buying cars).

Safe driving !

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I purchased a LR4 for many of the reasons you stated, and then a few others. In the end, it was a great family vehicle. We got ours and within the first 30 days we had put over 4k miles on it. A couple big family vacations will sure rack up the miles in a hury.

It is still my favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

Rob

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I purchased a LR4 for many of the reasons you stated, and then a few others. In the end, it was a great family vehicle. We got ours and within the first 30 days we had put over 4k miles on it. A couple big family vacations will sure rack up the miles in a hury.

It is still my favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

Rob

Thanks Rob ! Great to feel the excitement that your post exudes.

Its best to get opinions from real owners - than to read what a "journalist" might have to say. Unfortunately objectivity is not a trait many automotive journalists exhibit these days (perhaps for monetary/advertising reasons).

When I was still undecided about my purchase, one day I approached an owner of an LR3 in the parking lot. The lady was very enthusiastic, just like you Rob, she started telling me stories and that it was her 2nd Land Rover and how Land Rover helped her when she had any issues etc. She gave me her business card and told me where to go buy it and who to ask for. In short, I was convinced at that point that I was going to be an LR4 owner.

Cheers!

Pickasaurus

Reaction score
Glad you had a good trip to our great State. Also glad to hear that you are as happy with your purchase as I am. I think you made a great choice.

Enjoy the ride.

Jon

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you had a good trip to our great State. Also glad to hear that you are as happy with your purchase as I am. I think you made a great choice.

Enjoy the ride.

Jon

Thanks Jon - You are lucky to live in Colorado !

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi jamgolf,

Thanks for the great post and welcome to the forum! Your LR4 looks awesome in the snow and I am jealous I have not had a chance to try mine out yet. I spent the weekend in Yosemite, but there was no snow! :-( Someday!

Nice to have you on the boards...

-David

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi jamgolf,

Thanks for the great post and welcome to the forum! Your LR4 looks awesome in the snow and I am jealous I have not had a chance to try mine out yet. I spent the weekend in Yosemite, but there was no snow! :-( Someday!

Nice to have you on the boards...

-David

Thanks for your welcoming post David.
Hope you get to drive your LR4 in snow soon.

Cheers!

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that fuel economy is very dependent upon cruise speed. Keep the speed down and you could break 25mpg, but with cruise set at about 83 coming across AZ, I guess I was getting about 16 last weekend.

I too considered most of the alternatives you mention. The LR4 is a really capable and versitle design. We just broke 6000 miles on ours and I've been really happy so far.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that fuel economy is very dependent upon cruise speed. Keep the speed down and you could break 25mpg, but with cruise set at about 83 coming across AZ, I guess I was getting about 16 last weekend.

I too considered most of the alternatives you mention. The LR4 is a really capable and versitle design. We just broke 6000 miles on ours and I've been really happy so far.

I also noticed that above 75 mph, the fuel economy deteriorated significantly (due to drag coefficient I presume). Between 65 and 75 mph somewhere lies the sweetspot.

Also - great to hear that you are still happy at 6K miles.

Cheers !

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get consistent numbers right around 20mpg if I could drive between 50 and 66mph. If I had it aove 68mph, I could sure notice the difference in mileage. At 83, I would struggle to get 17mpg.

A head wind will also **** yoru mileage. In Nebraska, I always seem to be driving into a head wind when ever I'm on the road. :(

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9