LR4-Purchase Question from a LR Rookie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob P

Reaction score
Hey there.

Looking to (perhaps) join the LR community with my first LR purchase; the truck I'm considering purchasing is a 2014 LR4 HSE with just under 20k miles. I love just about everything about this black LR4 and would love to hold onto this truck for 10+ years to use for rugged (and domestic) adventures with our now-one-year-old son.

The LR4's factory warranty is now expired due to its age, and my only concern right now is the possibility we purchase a vehicle whose repairs will bleed funds away from other family priorities.

My main questions are:
  • Anyone have any thoughts as to whether/not it is worth it to purchase an extended warranty given that there are only 20k miles on the truck?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on particularly-accurate estimates (or resources for such estimates) on what repairs will likely need to be done and when (on average, of course) for an SCV6 LR4?

For context:
  • We would likely have pretty-minimal annual miles; likely 5-10k/year.
  • I brought the LR4 to a local LR dealership last weekend and it passed a pre-purchase inspection without any flags for mechanical issues.
  • After the LR4, the next vehicle model we are weighing the LR4 against (but which is not quite as desirable for us) is the uber-reliable Toyota 4Runner.
Thanks for your time in reading this, and I appreciate any thoughts and insight you can share!
Rob

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My advise is if you have $2-3k in the bank or available to spend on a decent extended warranty it is basically a gamble. You are gambling you will need the warranty and the warranty company is gambling you will not.

It doesn't matter what vehicle you go with anything can happen. If you only plan on 5k a year in mileage, I would say a warranty may not be needed. If it will be your daily driver then I would say get it, since you will need the vehicle to be fixed ASAP as it is your daily.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72