LR4 strut part numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking to refresh my suspension soon and trying to be thrifty....
for rear struts:
Arnott ($400) #AS2534.....interchanges with OEM #'s LR016418, LR016419, LR032650, LR038096, LR041110, RPD000309, RPD501020, RPD501090, RPD501100

if i look up RPD000309, which i can find for a better price.... the results are that it does not fit the LR4, it is LR3 only. this has me questioning the compatability of LR3/LR4 struts.

can anyone confirm if Lr3 and LR4 struts are interchangeable?

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Bilstein struts (Rovers North)? When I was replacing on the L322, I called Arnott, and I could not get a clear answer on their rebuild process for their struts (and really, if they even actually rebuilt their strut, as opposed to just painting them) so I went OEM on my L322. I've used Arnott Air Springs, meaning just the inflatable "bag" on Mercedes and it appeared to be an excellent product.

This was about 5 years ago, so things could of changed, just wanted to mention this to you.

Regardless, I'll definitely be going the Bilstein route on my wife's LR4 when the time comes, primarily due to the weight of the truck.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Bilstein struts (Rovers North)? When I was replacing on the L322, I called Arnott, and I could not get a clear answer on their rebuild process for their struts (and really, if they even actually rebuilt their strut, as opposed to just painting them) so I went OEM on my L322. I've used Arnott Air Springs, meaning just the inflatable "bag" on Mercedes and it appeared to be an excellent product.

This was about 5 years ago, so things could of changed, just wanted to mention this to you.

Regardless, I'll definitely be going the Bilstein route on my wife's LR4 when the time comes, primarily due to the weight of the truck.

interesting you say that, as the only reason i want to replace the struts is because i feel the shocks are worn. the air bags and air ride control is still good.

the Bilstein is cost prohibitive on this car. its my beater, and while i like to maintain it and do preventative maintenance, im not looking to go above and beyond. it currently has 145k and my goal is to make it to 200k. the ROI for the Bilsteins dont make it worth it to me.

im also not looking to replace the shock only, as im not comfortable with rebuilding and sealing the strut assembly. entire assembly replacement is my plan here.

anyway, digging into the depth of google, i seem to have found that the LR3 and LR4 shocks are physically interchangeable. there was a valving difference on the LR3 vs Lr4 (LR4 being more stiff). this is only relevant with OEM parts, as aftermarket manufacturers have disregarded valving changes and made 1 universal part for both trucks.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think others on here had used the Bilsteins and I recall them not having good reviews of them.

I've also seen the mixed signals when it comes to the Arnott assemblies regarding whether and to what extent they are rebuilt. The price of them is low enough where it makes me wonder.

I think if I had to get new ones, I'd try to find some Delphi (which I believe is who made them for Land Rover). I know Atlantic British carries them, but I think you can source them for cheaper from a UK supplier.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try to find some Delphi (which I believe is who made them for Land Rover). I know Atlantic British carries them, but I think you can source them for cheaper from a UK supplier.

this is the root of my question

Atlantic british site has LR3 rear struts for $350 (delphi). they also have LR4 struts for $400.
If Arnotts part number fits both vehicles, then why cant i install the LR3 struts from atlantic british on my LR4?

if i can save $100/pair and get the LR3 version...i will.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delphi was the OEM for Land Rover, at least with the L322, which is the brand (Delphi) that I used when I replaced them on my 05. I bought them from Enzo at British Parts of Utah.

Regarding Bilsteins, I've used them on Porsche's, BMW's and Land Rovers over the last 30years and never had a problem, and they have always performed above OEM except on the 911's, as most of the 911's that I have owned came with Bilstein from the factory. They are stiff compared to most stock, so it will stiffen the ride up a great deal, maybe that's what some dislike.

I'd definitely consider Delphi as well.

Regardless, Good luck with whatever you decide....

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the root of my question

Atlantic british site has LR3 rear struts for $350 (delphi). they also have LR4 struts for $400.
If Arnotts part number fits both vehicles, then why cant i install the LR3 struts from atlantic british on my LR4?

if i can save $100/pair and get the LR3 version...i will.

Pretty sure the LR3 air shocks ride softer too. I don’t have a source for this, but recall reading a thread when the LR4s first came out.

allegro

Reaction score
After just crossing 125K miles and coming up on my 2012's 10th birthday, I'm looking at swapping in all new air struts. Arnotts seem to be the current consensus, but I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience with BWI?

My rig's OE air springs carry BWI branding, and searching around I see that BWI acquired Delphi's suspension and brakes business in 2009. BWI is a Chinese company, and it operates factories in US, UK, eastern Europe, Asia, etc. I've seen suggestions online that their LR air struts come out of their UK factory, but who knows.

I see that I could do all four corners with BWI struts from Island 4x4 in the UK for about $1,000, including shipping to California. Any reason to not go this route?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front struts back in April. I wound up going with Arnotts, but I thought long and hard about going with Delphi. I remember figuring out that you could get delphi from the UK distributors for a lot less than you can get them here.

This is all to say that I think you're probably on the right track if OEM is what you want to go with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM