LR4 tranny problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few months back I started a post about this problem, but I was not concrete about the symptoms

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28300

Today I almost had a same one, but the engine not stalled

so I would like to describe it again and hope for some inputs from your veteran guys

first of first, it is just me who has experienced this NOT my spouse so I am wondering whether it is due to the driving/braking pattern; and the dealer scanned the car but found no code at all.

when I was approaching the red light, the car was already very slow, and I was very very gentle on the brake,

I saw the engine rev suddenly went high in a flashing period (I guess it is a down shift in the tranny gear, I could not see the rev well, but I guess it could be as high as more than 1500), and the battery symbol (red) in the instrumental flashed once and went away very very quickly

last time, the engine stalled (car condition as ACC on), but this time it did not

last time, I can restart the engine immediately, with no engine light

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your question, but I was talking to my local LR/Jag indy down here in South Florida and he mentioned that when the transmission goes, (150K + miles) get ready for a huge bill. He said in his experiences that people who rebuild these ZF transmissions can get them apart but have a very difficult time of rebuilding them and getting them all back together. Not sure why these would be so different than any other new transmission...

I think he quoted $7-8 grand for a new one from ZF. Maybe its time to start looking for one on a totaled low milage LR4.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your question, but I was talking to my local LR/Jag indy down here in South Florida and he mentioned that when the transmission goes, (150K + miles) get ready for a huge bill. He said in his experiences that people who rebuild these ZF transmissions can get them apart but have a very difficult time of rebuilding them and getting them all back together. Not sure why these would be so different than any other new transmission...

I think he quoted $7-8 grand for a new one from ZF. Maybe its time to start looking for one on a totaled low milage LR4.

thanks for info

I did some dig about this symptoms, looks more like related to alternator, belt or battery

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to an Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys or whatever your local shop is called and they will do a diagnosis for free. Chance are one of these places is closer than a dealer and it's free.

My '11 did stall out and it turns out the battery was bad. The one it comes with sucks, get the Die Hard AGM one for $200 at Sears. There is a thread all about batteries that is pretty comprehensive.

good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635