LR4 Winch/Brush Bar/Driving Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blathering1

Reaction score
ARB Bumper Option

The ARB bull bar is sku#3432200 btw. I have not seen these in stock (though have not looked extensively) nor what the street price will be. MSRP is $1995.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-Bar-Land-Rover-LR4-2009-12-3432200-P22756.aspx

If anyone has this we would benefit from your experience.
What do you do with the parking sensors?
Is the nose weight difference an issue/noticeable?
Does the bumper impact the approach angle?

for the OP: I couldn't see a bit of extra durability scaring clientele off...

Attachments

• 3432200_1.jpg
    3432200_1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 33

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ARB bull bar is sku#3432200 btw. I have not seen these in stock (though have not looked extensively) nor what the street price will be. MSRP is $1995.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-Bar-Land-Rover-LR4-2009-12-3432200-P22756.aspx

If anyone has this we would benefit from your experience.
What do you do with the parking sensors?
Is the nose weight difference an issue/noticeable?
Does the bumper impact the approach angle?

for the OP: I couldn't see a bit of extra durability scaring clientele off...
I love this bumper. I know someone who has it installed on their LR3 (had to shut off parking sensors) and it looks awesome and the front heavy aspect does not seem to be an issue.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can definitely understand wanting to keep the LR4 looking pretty stock and not crazy with lots of accessories. The Devon4x4 hidden winch mount is really nice and pretty discreet:

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?p...ry_id=1013362&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

As far as the lights, you likely want to go with the OEM ones that mount directly to the front protection bar or the bumper. I agree with rovernut above, I've seen some of them on LR3s and they fade very quickly.

I don't think there are any other bars available for the LR4, except for ARB bumper?

-David

Been talking to Justin and he says Devon is no longer importing their products to the US.

If someone has a lead on the LR4 D44 bumper, please let me know. Otherwise I'm going the tray route. I'm an ARB fan but not ready to change the front end look of the truck like that.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been talking to Justin and he says Devon is no longer importing their products to the US.

If someone has a lead on the LR4 D44 bumper, please let me know. Otherwise I'm going the tray route. I'm an ARB fan but not ready to change the front end look of the truck like that.
Hey NASdiesel,

Definitely keep us posted! I'd be very curious the route you take. I love the ARB bumper, but it's a major modification. If you do plan to trade in your truck, it might actually hinder it because many people may not want it. The winch looks cool, functional (for some people), and discreet.

Good luck!

-David

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Kaaae,

Nice to "meet" you. I'm in the Kendall area next to the Falls. How about you?

I too, used to live next to the falls but now near gulliver school. what did you decide on for a front bumper and other gear? the arb bumper is really the way to go. if you want to keep the look "lite," you could simply add front and rear light guards, a ladder and call it a day. additionally, add a roof rack too.. just watch those parking garages...

surge45

Reaction score
I too, used to live next to the falls but now near gulliver school. what did you decide on for a front bumper and other gear? the arb bumper is really the way to go. if you want to keep the look "lite," you could simply add front and rear light guards, a ladder and call it a day. additionally, add a roof rack too.. just watch those parking garages...

Thanks for checking in. I haven't pulled the trigger on the front end yet because I'm still on the fence. I like the ARB but am a little hesitant because it does give the truck a very aggressive look. Don't get me wrong - I love that look! However, my LR4 is still the "family truckster" and I do use is it for "work" (i.e., visit clients or take the occasional client out to dinner). I'm actually leaning towards the full OEM front bar/light kit/winch (like pic). While A LOT more expensive, it does blend in very nicely.

It's funny that you mention all of the other accessories ... DONE! I have already installed the front/rear light guards, ladder and roof rack/cross bars. I also added the towing light kit and hitch receiver. I still need to take the LR4 to the dealer to have the "lights" programmed (CCF needs to be modified to enable the lights and "tow stability" - at least that's what I've read and have been told by the dealership?).

During that install, I encountered two headaches:

The first was with the "nutserts" when installing the ladder. I had never used those before and didn't want to spend another $100 on the tool. So I read how to use a loose nut, two wrenches, etc. and went for it. It worked but it took two people and I felt that it was one of "those things" that could really get messed up due to improper installation. I only had to install two nutserts for the ladder. However, when I went to install the rear light guards and discovered that I had to install another 4 nutserts - I said Hell, and bought the tool. WAAAAAAAAAAYYY easier to use the tool and it comes out perfect. Right tool for the right job!

The other "hassle-hoff" was when I went to remove the metal strip on the roof for the roof rail installation, the plastic "POS" inserts would break inside the threads (I guess to them being brittle - it is a 2010 after all). For about 5 of them, I had to carefully drill out the plastic and remove it from the holes without damaging the thread.

I've learned that with LR4 you need to triple the estimated time you initially think that it takes to install something!

Attachments

• LR4 Front.jpg
    LR4 Front.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 36

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for checking in. I haven't pulled the trigger on the front end yet because I'm still on the fence. I like the ARB but am a little hesitant because it does give the truck a very aggressive look. Don't get me wrong - I love that look! However, my LR4 is still the "family truckster" and I do use is it for "work" (i.e., visit clients or take the occasional client out to dinner). I'm actually leaning towards the full OEM front bar/light kit/winch (like pic). While A LOT more expensive, it does blend in very nicely.

It's funny that you mention all of the other accessories ... DONE! I have already installed the front/rear light guards, ladder and roof rack/cross bars. I also added the towing light kit and hitch receiver. I still need to take the LR4 to the dealer to have the "lights" programmed (CCF needs to be modified to enable the lights and "tow stability" - at least that's what I've read and have been told by the dealership?).

During that install, I encountered two headaches:

The first was with the "nutserts" when installing the ladder. I had never used those before and didn't want to spend another $100 on the tool. So I read how to use a loose nut, two wrenches, etc. and went for it. It worked but it took two people and I felt that it was one of "those things" that could really get messed up due to improper installation. I only had to install two nutserts for the ladder. However, when I went to install the rear light guards and discovered that I had to install another 4 nutserts - I said Hell, and bought the tool. WAAAAAAAAAAYYY easier to use the tool and it comes out perfect. Right tool for the right job!

The other "hassle-hoff" was when I went to remove the metal strip on the roof for the roof rail installation, the plastic "POS" inserts would break inside the threads (I guess to them being brittle - it is a 2010 after all). For about 5 of them, I had to carefully drill out the plastic and remove it from the holes without damaging the thread.

I've learned that with LR4 you need to triple the estimated time you initially think that it takes to install something!
Hey surge45,

I encountered the same issues as you when installing the ladder and rear tail lamp guards. The ladder was not too bad, but I ran into a problem with the rear tail lamp guards because you need to drill the holes right on or the guards could possibly rub the top lift gate. I had to shimmy the guard to clear the top lift gate - it is fine, but was a bit annoying.

Keep us posted about your front bumper search. The one you posted is for the LR3, so unfortunately there are not similar options for the LR4 - just the plastic one that holds the lights. I don't know if they have the winch tray for the LR4? You will likely need the Devon or something.

-David

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the link in my post, you will see that it's just a soft foam decorative piece now that sits above the bumper. Apparently, they have a real problem with running over pedestrians in England and Europe, so they all have laws regarding brush bars and bumper/hood shapes in general. A lot of the new front end designs of European cars and trucks are because of these laws...

The factory winch setup, which kind sits on a tray, is pretty much still the same and I'm pretty sure you can get the factory winch without getting the foam bumper. It sits out quite a bit though. Hopefully, someone will start importing the Devon hidden system again, as it's the most unobtrusive.

I still like the ARB Bull Bar the best, but it's a huge commitment...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635