LR4 windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeViking

Reaction score
Thank you ALL for the tips thus far. I have officially made my satellite appointment and made specific notes regarding preference of glass in order from;
• OEM Heated Pilkington w/ LRlogo
• OEE Heated Pilkington w/o LRlogo
• even accept a no name/offbrand crappy unheated glass

But in ALL cases, that I REQUIRED BRAND NEW OEM A-PILLAR CLIPS be included!

Schedule for 26th! Wish me luck!
81eb6c9ea3c82255ca86684eec3ae7b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arman

Reaction score
Bought the car recently, 1 owner, Florida, HSE Lux with all options. When inspecting I noticed that windshield and roofglass were both replaced. Both were Pilkington glass, so I assumed it should be fine. What I didn't know is how badly the job was done.

First the driver side A-pillar started rattling. I decided to replace clips, but it took way too much effort to pry it out, no wonder - it was glued with a windshield urethane adhesive! Crazy stuff, took 2 hours to clean up the mess (Goo-gone + plastic blade do magical things without damaing paint). New a-pillar was installed. Highway noise still persisted, so I replaced clips on passenger side a-pillar trim and the windshield cowl (it had classic warp just above HVAC air intake). Noise almost disappeared (new passenger side a-pillar trim should fix the problem).

Another 3 problems I had were with radio antenna, rainsensor and headlamp auto highbeam (they would work but intermittently and would throw error codes from time to time). After opening cowl below rearview mirror I found that the rainsensor wasn't clipped in all the way towards the windshield. I guess there is a contact/pin that grounds part of the windshield, through which both headlamp high-beam sensor and radio antenna are grounded as well. So clamping the rainsensor properly fixed all 3 problems. So far so good.

Next I wanted to investigate the "Left mirror heater output" and "Right mirror heater output" errors found with IIDTool. I noticed that windshield heating didn't work either. Checked all fuses and relays - everything was good.
Removed the interior trim on a-pillar to check ribbons connection. What I discovered out me in shock. The job must surely have been done by most careless mechanic on earth. Urethane sealant everywhere, sunroof drain not clipped in, and most importantly - windshield heating ribbons are completely missing! The glass has heating elements (hundreds of wires across windshield) It seems like they were ripped off or bent wrong way during installation. Same story on both driver and passenger sides. It seems that side mirror heating is connected in series with windsheild, and without windshield heating the error is thrown for side mirrors. This is something that I believe cannot be fixed, and can only be replaced.

Well the windshield is due for replacement anyway. I had small star crack that was fixed by insurance, but it started to grow (safelite guy told me that if it grows I should get it replaced).

I hope this post is useful for anyone with above mentioned problems that can arise from improper winshield installation:
- No side mirror or windshield heating: "B1163-15 (2F) Left mirror heater output", "B1164-15 (2F) Right mirror heater output" - windsheild ribbons are disconnected (broken)
- Unstable automatic wipers operation.

If rain sensor not properly attached it will trigger 2 errors below due to bad grounding of that windsheild area:
- Unstable headlamp auto high beam assist "U0241-00 (28) Lost comunication with the headlamp control module A"
- Poor radio signal "B1A56-13 (2C) Antenna circuit"

20201211_003201.jpg

20201211_003149.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this post is useful for anyone with above mentioned problems that can arise from improper winshield installation

Great info, thanks. When I get mine replaced (notice I didn’t say if because it’s inevitable) I will insist on and pay for LR logo OEM or Pilkington heated replacement. I will also put the installers on notice about all the above and tell them they need to get it right the first time.

It’s interesting how the filaments drive some people crazy and don’t faze others. I never notice them unless I’m looking for them.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that was a home DIY job where someone used a salvage yard windshield. That's the only explanation that would make sense. Because I'd have to think the previous owner would have noticed a lot of stuff wasn't working right and had it redone.

dtopkin

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread but it was the only thread here that seemed to have some information on the U0241-00 (28) fault code I'm getting. Wanted to reference OP's thoughts here:

"If rain sensor not properly attached it will trigger 2 errors below due to bad grounding of that windsheild area:
- Unstable headlamp auto high beam assist "U0241-00 (28) Lost comunication with the headlamp control module A"

This is the only code i'm getting now on my 2015 LR4—pulled apart the rain sensor and clipped it back in making sure it's properly attached. Cleared that code, but after a short drive it came back, unfortunately. Everything is working fine, it's more of an annoyance at this point. I don't believe the windshield was ever replaced on my vehicle, and I'm wondering what else could be triggering this fault. Any thoughts?

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would inspect the wiring at the plug and spray the contacts with electronics cleaner.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any LR4 windshield that has the blue-ish anti-reflective (I assume that’s what it is) coating that the RR and RRS have?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have access to a multi-meter, you could measure the resistance of the ground wire from the plug's ground to the chassis. It shouldn't have much resistance at all.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timely thread. I parked my car two days ago in a garage. Went to drive it and a foot-long crack mysteriously appeared. I'm assuming I must have taken a rock hit that expanded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA