Mattress Pad in the back - Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
I have been up and back in my head with the same question. I am not a fan of blow up mattresses and have been looking to build a sleeping platform with storage and use something like a memory foam twin since I am a shorter person and that would fit length.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C492V6...a3-381b-4e17-9f18-250cfc462baf&pd_rd_wg=A8Pg6

The other option has been a fold up memory foam so I can convert the LR4 to and from a camping rig. https://www.amazon.com/Cheer-Collec...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Another option is using a futon mattress which is more pliable on the sides and front since the dimensions of the cargo space with all seats down and front ones forward a bit is not symmetric. https://www.amazon.com/Mozaic-8-Inc...-garden&sprefix=twin+futon,garden,195&sr=1-21

And I have looked at rooftop tents, overland type trailers with rooftop tents, teardrop campers, and last, but not least hotels.

dlonesty

Reaction score
I go camping all of thew time in my LR4. I use 2 Thermarest pads that can also be hooked together for coverage of the entire back area. The pads can self inflate and also come with an inflator plugged into the cigarette socket. I inflate mine that way. The pads are about 4 inches thick with inflation. I like this choice because it is better than my old Napier air mattress. Air mattresses are cold to sleep on and if 2 people are sleeping on one mattress, when one moves the other person is disturbed. This choice does not dissipate heat like and air mattress either.
I sleep well and can totally stretch out. I do always bring my pillow with the silk case on it.
Thermarests are expensive but do fit the bill quite nicely. The pad also rolls up and has a stuff sack and pump.

Last edited:

mflecklr3

Reaction score
Costco sells a folding foam mattress that fits nicely in the back. You'd need two cover the back. Folded up, I wouldn't call them space-saving. My dog would take a nap on a pile of broken glass so I only have to worry about my comfort. I use two layers of thermarest backpacking pads and Tylenol PM...sleep like a baby.

Snag_Devil

Reaction score
You might look into Paco pads or any of the rafting company equivalents. I know Maravia will make one in a custom size for you.

None of the rafting pads are cheap, but they’re more comfortable than a regular thermarest, easier on the body than Tylenol, super durable, and easy to clean.

rs7trout

Reaction score
I use a foam pad that has memory foam layer--when camping I leave it as a bed in the back and put extra bags and stuff on top if I need the extra room for things--as it is memory foam putting the extra weight on it while traveling--doesn't affect it--plus no having to inflate an air mattress--which to me aren't that comfortable anyhow--
o
Willpo Certipur-US Memory Foam Camping Mattress【Single:75"x30"x2.75" Twin 75"x38"x2.75"】on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZZMLYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

purseon

Reaction score
I went to a local At Home store and bought 6 patio chair foam cushions, each 6" thick, on clearance. They tie together and fit exactly in the back of my LR3 perfectly. I cover them with a fitted sheet and it provides a great night's sleep. The best part is that I can easily move them, stack them, or store them when not needed. Much easier to handle than a regular mattress and more comfortable than an inflatable one.

upload_2020-8-3_10-33-59.png

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought and returned 2 mattresses and ended up spending the money on the Exped.... And I should've just bought it to begin with. Worth the money.

Kristina

Reaction score
I use a 4" Miliard tri-fold mattress. It's just me, so I have the 31x73" mattress on one side, and gear on the other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi