Max Speed in Diff Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
I was driving down some of the white mud (Marl or something like that) in Eastern NC and the Rover was acting like it was driving on snow/ice. I was going around 55 when I switched over to DiffLock. Drove fine for 10 miles or so. At the end of the drive, I switched the DiffLock off and drove a bit and the light did not go off. So I stopped, put in neutral and then reverse and backed up. The light went off. I continued on.

Now my question is this.

obviously it did not destroy the trany yet, but

is driving at 55+ in DiffLock okay?

The road was rough and acted slippery and I assumed that is when the DiffLock was to be used.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think it's ok to go high speed in lock. I have never done it as if I'm going that fast there is no reason to lock it in my opinion as it is full time 4 wheel in my 95 discovery. Going In reverse should unwind it as the manual states.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Diff lock at any speed is okay as long as the surface will allow some slippage. Almost always after using the diff lock you will need to unlock and backup around 5 to 10 feet to get it to disengage.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does wow gold have to do with diff lock?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
maddie... it was spam... deleted user and posts.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving down some of the white mud (Marl or something like that) in Eastern NC and the Rover was acting like it was driving on snow/ice. I was going around 55 when I switched over to DiffLock. Drove fine for 10 miles or so. At the end of the drive, I switched the DiffLock off and drove a bit and the light did not go off. So I stopped, put in neutral and then reverse and backed up. The light went off. I continued on.

Now my question is this.

obviously it did not destroy the trany yet, but

is driving at 55+ in DiffLock okay?

The road was rough and acted slippery and I assumed that is when the DiffLock was to be used.
Hi Mark;

No worries would be my quick reply - you won't 'wind-up' your tranny as long as there is some slippage on that surface - which you plainly had.

SOP - for having to back-up to get that diff lock light off - no worries there!

Wolf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4