Metalic Thunk after driving a short way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have occasionally a metallic thunk like a rock hitting the LR3 underside after driving a short distance. Maybe something in the suspension is binding while parked and then releases when road vibration rattles it loose?? Anyone else had this problem?

Happens mainly when I make a turn maybe a mile after starting or if I hit a small bump. 2005 LR3 with 20,000 miles.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your skid plates for tightness, check the swinging vibration dampener bricks under the rear bumper, check your spare tire for snugness, check under your kids seats for a loose water bottle rolling around (I had one once!)

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Interesting about the dampeners under the rear bumper. Didn't remember about them but if it had of been them the thunk would be more of a plastic sound as they bang against plastic. The sound is more like a wound up spring driving something to give a solid bang. Hasn't happened for a number of days and I live 150 miles away from nearest LR dealer so I will just live with it till I go down the hill next spring. but I do appreciate your response.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge