Milage on a Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverRik

Reaction score
How many miles are too many miles? Now, I know that is a subjective question as to how the vehicle was driven. However, some makes and models of cars are more resilient than others. For example, Toyota has a rep for being able to have high milage vehicles and still hold up. What is the generally the point in which a V-8 Defender is just plain tired?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
as you said subjective. same engine/transmission as the Disco's and RR i.e. 4.0 engine that is at least the US spec models.

So it really depends on not only how it was driven, but how it was maintained.

The 1960 Buick 215ci engine is a good motor, but if it has ever been overheated it could be done for, it you let any oil sludge build up... again it could be over.

I have 145k on my 97 Disco, but I know people that have 300+k on 94 RR's, I also have seen and hear of 03 Disco's with the 4.6 liter engine not make it to 50k...

They are a sleeved engine, so heat is the biggest enemy (keep in mind the sleeve are not held in place by anything but pressure).

RoverRik

Reaction score
Well, I am interested in possibly finding a Defender. 1997 is the year I want because I like the auto tranny and a few other things in '97. However, pretty much everything I see out there is over 50k and usually an average around 80k. I have seen cosmetically amazing looking Rovers with 130k on them. It's at that point that I start to wonder. I guess you really need a paper trail and even then it's a toss.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with that 100%. As with any British vehicle or even exotic sports cars. I have an 03 Jaguar that I just bought and I belong to a few Jaguar forums, and I can say without a doubt that having a paper trail helps, but not always a 100% perfect thing. Also if you have ever looked for an exotic, and I have been looking on and off for the past few years (just haven't found the perfect car yet), I would say that a car that has been sitting around for 15 years is in worse shape (even though it looks new and has extreme low mileage) then some cars I have looked at that have 100+K on them.

Sadly just because they are not driven it seems to be worse on some vehicles then others. Unless they are at least started and ran for enough time to burn off the condensation and get oil or grease to all the need areas.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Very true on EBay... bought my Disco on EBay, but it was from a wholeseller and he told me if I wasn't happen when I arrived I just had to pay the EBay fees and we would call it a day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635