Missing AC clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3$$$$

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm brand spanking new to this forum and have lurked for too long. I have a situation I'm hoping you guys can provide some advice on.

Long story short, I took my 06 LR3 in to a local shop (non-land rover) to get a full brake job done. Ive taken my cars to this guy for years and trust him. After I pick up my truck the brakes are fine but on my way home, I discover the A/C is only blowing hot air. I KNOW it was working when I dropped it off...it was hot and the A/C was on and frigid as usual. When I brought it back to him one of his guys checked it out and the A/C clutch is missing! The compressor is there, but no clutch. He assured me that none of his guys would have or could have knocked it off, damaged or taken it. There were no internal marks in the engine that could have shown that he clutch just flew off while on the road so if anything, this thing came off cleanly.

My question is, can a clutch just fall off from wear and tear? Would it have to be manually removed?

He'll of a coincidence that I KNOW it worked when I brought it in, and now it doesn't and a major piece of the A/C is just gone.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks for the read?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 AC compresor does not have a clutch so to speak. It is called a variable displacement compressor , that is constantly ON .As far as blowing hot air, check the fuses first ...maybe someone will chime in with more elaborate answer, but that would be where I would start...

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 'sheer plate' mounted to the front of the compressor that when the compressor fails, will break off, and can look like it is missing a clutch.

This is there because the compressor is always spinning, so to prevent a big problem if it locks up(throwing the drive belt or worse) the sheer plate breaks, and allows the compressor pulley to turn, without turning the compressor.

The repair is replacing the compressor, as even if a new plate were available, it would not fix the problem that caused the compressor to lock up in the first place.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not unusual to hear a new compressor is needed. Keep us posted on your troubleshooting..

LR3$$$$

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Regardless of what it is called, the "clutch" on the end of the compressor is gone...missing. The compressor was tested by the owner of the shop and he confirmed that it is working properly, that simply the clutch is missing.

My question is, can this thing just fall off? I suspect not...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor cannot be tested and work properly without that plate. It does not turn.

There is no clutch on the compressor, which is a different design then most techs are used to seeing, so it is possible that it is fine and the person looking at it is used to the tradition design(used on almost all vehicles up until a few years ago, and even now is somewhat uncommon)

Did they recharge it, and it blows cold now?

As to it falling off, yes, the sheer plate does exactly that when there is an issue with the compressor. If all of your undertrays are in place, there really isn't anywhere for it to go, so it should still be in the engine bay somewhere.

LR3$$$$

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info...looks like I either sweat it out for the rest of the summer or I'm off to Land Rover to pay premium dollars...:mad:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air Conditioner system pdf files

The link below is to four Land Rover pdf's that explain in detail how the AC system works, plus why there is no clutch as you used to know it on the AC compressor.

There are electrical pdf's and cut aways of the compressor system as well. The pdf's are are lower four of the seven in the file.

http://bit.ly/1dEULOt

Kevintjones

Reaction score
I too am having issues with my compressor and want to make sure that I understand the clutch system. I am only getting hot air and my freon levels are good. That being said, my compressor isn't spinning at all. I was under the impression that it should constantly spin. Does this mean that my compressor is bad? I have an 06 V6 SE. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4