Moab Trail Ratings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[...]I am definitely planning on getting new tires (but I'm still trying to decide which) within the next couple of months, as I have almost 25k on the original GYs.

I just ordered some 265/60/18 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s today. $729.90 out-the-door at discount tire. I thought a long time about getting 285/60/18s, but I also wanted to stick with the stock size (for chains, better gas mileage), so I compromised.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. So, i just got the exact date for the trip (May 20-21) and I won't be able to go that weekend. I'm pretty bummed. I saw that the Land Rover National Rally is in Moab again this year (in October), but I am a little concerned about beating up my stock truck.

Nathan, thanks again for your "General Info for First Time National Rally'ers" thread. Are there more mellow trails that the Solihull guys run during that rally where I culd avoid body damage? My truck is entirely stock, except for the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s I put on a few weeks ago.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the tires you just put on and a $150 rod mod, you'll be playing with a truck that can keep up with the big boys.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the tires you just put on and a $150 rod mod, you'll be playing with a truck that can keep up with the big boys.

Sure, but it's this part of nwoods's post that makes me a bit nervous:

What can I expect to happen to my vehicle?
Moab HATES bumpers. Expect to trash your rear bumper, and expect to rub a lot of fresh love on the front bumper too. Tires are almost irrelevant. The bigger the better of course, but street slicks will work nearly as good as the newest KM2’s. Slickrock sandstone offers phenomenal, gravity defying grip. Between the slickrock sections, you will encounter broken shale, or deep sand. Don’t even think about showing up with running boards on. Moab offers STEEP approach and departure angles, with SHARP breakover angles on sheer ledges. These ledges and steep angles are what will wreak havoc on your bumpers, but its so much fun, you really won’t care. Some trails are very rocky, such as Top of the World, which is not difficult, but offers a few ledges and some good larger than basketball sized rocks to scrape over. The traction is there, but you will rub things, I guarantee it. Having good underbody protection and steel bumpers is recommended.

And then there's shots like these:

100199180_AmNRv-L-4.jpg

100199218_LRKEc-L-4.jpg

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that could be a problem. But remember, Nathan's truck wasn't the airsprung version. So even with his lift kit, he was sitting lower than your stock offroad mode. With the rod mod, you'll be another 2" higher than offroad mode, which will help a lot with your approach and departure angles (which caused the issues in the picture above). Lastly, Moab has a lot of trails. Many of them will give you no damage whatsoever with careful spotting. There are videos on youtube of bone stock LR3s and Range Rover being lead by the Land Rover Experience guys. Trust me, they will not take on any trails that will damage a customers car. Just pick a trail that fits your experience level and have fun.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine! As others have mentioned, it's just a sampling of moab and I would guess taylored to people who have never been offroad in their rigs. This is really the BEST way for you to skin your teeth in offroading. Take lots of water, follow directions explicitly and open that sunroof! Maybe give the dealer a call and find out the itinerary and post the trails here.

J.D.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine! As others have mentioned, it's just a sampling of moab and I would guess taylored to people who have never been offroad in their rigs. This is really the BEST way for you to skin your teeth in offroading. Take lots of water, follow directions explicitly and open that sunroof! Maybe give the dealer a call and find out the itinerary and post the trails here.

J.D.

Thanks J.D. My original post was about a trip with the dealer (which I wasn't worried about). I won't be able to make that trip, so I am thinking about meeting up for the Solihull Society National Rally. I think it will be a bit more ******** than the dealer trip.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that could be a problem. But remember, Nathan's truck wasn't the airsprung version. So even with his lift kit, he was sitting lower than your stock offroad mode.

That's not quite correct. I was slightly higher than stock off road mode with my spring lift. But more importantly, those photos are of an normal HSE with air suspension and stock bumpers.

But you are all overlooking the important part of my post, "...but its so much fun, you really won’t care."

With the rod mod, you'll be another 2" higher than offroad mode, which will help a lot with your approach and departure angles (which caused the issues in the picture above).

True, but it's not going to drastically change the geometry. The ledges are steep. Definitely doable, but the potential to rub is 100%

Lastly, Moab has a lot of trails. Many of them will give you no damage whatsoever with careful spotting. There are videos on youtube of bone stock LR3s and Range Rover being lead by the Land Rover Experience guys. Trust me, they will not take on any trails that will damage a customers car. Just pick a trail that fits your experience level and have fun.

LRE does not use customers cars, they use factory vehicles, which is why the cost of attendance is so high. Again, stock LR3's will have no PROBLEMS in Moab, but expect to rub a bit here and there. It's no big deal. Its stands out on mine due to the white paint, but on a black bumper, it's nearly indistinguishable after a few days.

Trust me. Go! Have the time of your life!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, what do you mean by "not goin to drastically change the geometry" in reference to being up 2" higher? My calculations show a considerable increase in both approach and departure angle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cummins