Morning engine warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Varying opinions out there.

I have always taken my time to warm up my cars enough in the morning before I would hit the road. But I remember that my LR3 manual stated something to the effect of "in the interest of fuel economy and wear and tear it is recommended to drive right after the start up" (I can't remember exact words but this is what it said). What wear and tear damage can you cause by just idling the motor?

Could not find any info in the LR4 handbook but upon doing some research I found that warming up the car in the morning by letting the engine idle could be bad for it.

Thoughts?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I noticed that it drops to like 1000 or 800 but then it takes a while before it drops further to the normal 600. Not sure if letting the engine idle for that long in the morning is a good thing. Never knew that idling the engine could do harm until i read that in idling position the oil is not really being fully circulated and hence the engine is not fully coated with it.

Even for the initial engine break in period I read somewhere that letting the engine idle is not good.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it only takes 15 seconds to drop to 800 rpm.(cold start at around 70 F)
or if you starts hot, it drop to 600...

either way, i wait until it starts dropping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM