Multiple error codes in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
Ever since the weather turned frigid cold a couple weeks ago here in the midwest I've been having issues with cold starts. I used to be able to fire up my rover, back out of the garage and take off just fine. Now I start her up and back out and the dash lights up like an xmas tree. I get messages telling me system after system is unavailable, restricted performance, rough idle, etc. Then when she warms up, lights all disappear and she runs fine. This is only happening when it drops below freezing, she runs fine when its warmer. If I let her warm up before I drive, everything is usually okay too.

This is on my 2011 LR4, engine replaced this spring with no issues. She runs out strong and smooth otherwise. Here are the codes I've pulled:

P0101-00 mass or volume air flow - circuit range performance (historic)
P010B-00 mass or volume air flow B circuit range performance (historic)
P2105-00 throttle acruator control system - forced engine shutdown (historic)
P0A1A-88 generator control module (intermittent)
P052B-00 Cold start camshaft positon timing over-******** (bank 1) (historic)
P052D-00 Cold start camshaft positon timing over-******** (bank 2) (historic)
P2119-64 Throttle actuator control throttle body range/performance (historic)
P2119-29 Throttle actuator control throttle body range/performance (historic)
P2118-19 Throttle actuator control motor current range/performance (historic)
U0401-68 Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module (intermittent)
U0416-68 Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module (historic)

Any thoughts or others that have had issues like this? Wondering where to start.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot. I hope it is one of those cases where one thing ibroken and the rest will fall in line when you fix that. I recently had to change the MAP sensor which I believe may be the source of your first two codes, and it is cheap and very easy to replace. However, I don't know why it would get better when it warms up?

I do know these vehicles go ape-**** with seemingly random codes when the battery or the generator (alternator) is going bad. I have had the Xmas tree with that in our last 2013. How old are those?

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I had cleared the codes a couple times over the last couple weeks until I realized the errors went away after it warmed up. I just had the radiator replaced before this started so I wondered if they didn't seal something or something was loose. It's going back in for another radiator next week, so I'll make sure they review the codes and correct anything they might have done. I just replaced the battery last month, and the alternator has been testing good and charging well every time I checked.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Husker, and my guess is your battery is in a pour condition.

Just because it’s new does not mean it is fully charged and in top condition.

Having a battery in pour condition ( low capacity ) can cause the problems you are having with all the error codes.

If you have been doing lots of short drives and/or not driving much, then there is a good chance your battery is partially sulphated and needs conditioning to get it up to its full capacity and a fully charged state.

Have a look at this link as it should help you.

Scroll down the page till you get to “Battery Maintenance”

HuskerBred

Reaction score
Maybe. I noticed I was a quart low on oil, so I topped it off and put it on the maintenance charger for the night. I had the radiator replaced the day before this all started, and after discovering a leak, had it replaced again today. They chased down the error codes, but nothing really panned out, so I'm gonna drive it for a couple days and see what pops up. Low oil can cause a couple of the codes, so maybe it's just that sensitive to oil level. My son's Audi A4 trows codes like crazy when the oil level drops.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA