Multiple Systems Faults! Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmotomn

Reaction score
Update

I dropped our LR3 off at the dealer yesterday morning and they were unable to duplicate the problem (there's a surprise!) after driving it for two days. They said the battery tested good and that no faults were recorded from Sunday when they did diagnostics. So now we have to keep driving it until something happens again.

It will be interesting to see if it's the battery/alternator or possibly the faulty brake switch mentioned in another post. Only time will tell....

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I believe I am having the issue with the faulty break switch. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one of these switches.

TRO4

Reaction score
what did you find out? Was it the battery? Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being a brake switch that was bad and was tripping the other sensors...

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Models
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title Incorrect or blown stop/side light bulbs causing gearbox faults
Last Modified 05-MAY-2009 12:13
Category Electrical
Symptom 201000 Lighting Systems
Content
Issue
The customer reports engine or gearbox faults after replacement of the stop/side lamp bulbs or the bulb has blown.

Cause
The incorrect bulb has been fitted to the rear lamp stop/side holder. The customer may have fitted a single filament bulb which can be, if forced, inserted in place of a twin filament stop/side lamp bulb. This has been known to cause a number of more significant failures on the vehicle the main one being the gearbox goes into default mode.
Note:
If the bulb has a broken stop/side lamp filament this can also give the same symptoms.

Action
To prevent any unnecessary and expensive repair please carry out a visual check of the brake and side lights before carrying out any further work to the engine and gearbox.

The part number for the stop/side lamp bulb is XZQ000020

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....you've GOT to be kidding. So if a stop lamp has 1 of 2 filaments blown, you could potentially get a transmission fault and be put into "limited gears available" mode? MHaise what is the source of your report? You're a tech, right? Is there any kind of TSB or other word coming from the factory?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not a tech. Just saw the TSB on Land Rovers technical website. I paid the 14 bucks and downloaded the entire shop manual and every handbook and technical specs I could find. I spent about 6 hours but its got everything you can imagine.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see; thanks for sharing. So what you posted was from a TSB?

...Hmmm, I wonder if a lamp would still be functional if one of the two filaments went out? I also wonder if the Tranny fault would be periodic in that case or happen regularly. Either way, it's clear to me that a Transmission Fault does not necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the transmission!

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct. It's like I was saying in an earlier post. This vehicle is all sensors. The mechanical components aren't just going to go out unless there is serious neglect or damage. Y'all have seen the pics I have posted so you are aware of what I put mine through and she never gives me trouble. One thing I did do and currently do every couple of months is put a good die electric grease on all the wiring connections. Especially the sensors. Of you go on the Land Rover technical site you can find an entire electrical schematic of the entire car including every sensor possible. Then take them apart and give a good cleaning. It's cheap and beats the hell out of paying dealership cost. I was having this same problem with the trans fault, dhc and trans lowering so I went to my dealership yesterday to discuss this light bulb issue and they actually gave me all the rear bulbs for free. Seems to have worked so far. They also gave me an LR4 to drive around for the afternoon and I think I have fallen in love. Very very nice.

drewman75

Reaction score
They also gave me an LR4 to drive around for the afternoon and I think I have fallen in love. Very very nice.

Man, lucky you. Every time I take mine to the dealer, all I get are freakin' Hyundais to drive around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM