Name That Sound !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
2016 LR4, 60K miles

The sound is very reproducible, and only occurs under these conditions.

1. It is absolutely an A/C related sound, it turns off instantly if I turn off the A/C.
2. It needs to be at least 85F outside, the hotter it is, the more sound I get.
3. Needs to be at a constant RPM for a fair bit of time.
a. Sitting at a light.
b. At highway speed at same RPM for a while
4. After all the above are satisfied, the sound is made when accelerating or even sitting still and increasing RPM.

I have a recording, but unfortunately cannot attached it here.

It's a high pitched "whistle".

Thanks!

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you hear it outside the vehicle? First thoughts that come to mind are the compressor pulley (maybe a bearing) or if you can’t hear it outside, something in the blower

AlexQ_VA

Reaction score
The a/c blower? My squirrel cage is loose and and when it gets off balance it makes the noise. Forgive me if my nomenclature is off.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
My 2016 does the exact same thing. I always thought it was some kind of radio interference etc.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a new sound, A humming sound. A soft "whirring" sound. I knew it was coming from somewhere, but where? I stopped in a parking lot and popped the hood. Same loud engine sound as always. Not sure, but probably not. Was it the dash? The back seat? Maybe. Maybe the kids left the fan on the heating unit in the back. I got in the back seat and looked around at the controls. Truthfully, I rarely am back there, except to clean out the crumbs and fast food wrappers. Nope. Seemed promising, but that wasn't it either. Man, this was bad, I was sure of it. Then I looked at the center column that separates the front driver and passenger's seats. Oh, yeah, I forgot. I turned on the mini-fridge for the first time ever and put a soda can (energy drink) in there to see if it worked. Yep, that was it.

I'm done. I can't live like this. Every knock. Every rattle. Every light. Every whine or whir. The tire pressure light came on this morning as I was driving back from dropping the kids off at school. I was sure it was a faulty sensor that I would need to replace. Instead, I stopped at the air pumping station and, sure enough, the tire was under-inflated. Hmm. Preventative maintenance? Heck, you could incrementally replace the entire thing in an effort to protect yourself from the "really bad thing" happening. Drive it until it breaks. That's what I say. It will be less expensive than therapy.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Last fall I purchased the 2015 LR4. If also makes the exact same sound and is directly related to the AC.

So if I have 2 and "J" above has one that all make the sound, then I assume it is just something that all the 2014-2016 LR4's probably do.

Similar to the rattle from the catalytic converter heat shield with the 1992 and 2001 Troopers, a design "feature".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick