Nav Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard nothing good about BMW nav system. To the point where a lot of people on the BMW forums talk about opting not to get and instead go with a Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. Speaking of third party nav systems... if you buy a Garmin for instance they will also charge you to have the maps updated. Should these come with FREE updates? Now I believe the updates for these are like $80 or $90 compared to $249 of LR. I would be willing to argue LR may be gouging a bit on that but I don't begrudge them for charging to have the maps updated.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard nothing good about BMW nav system.
Well, I switched to LR from BMW. The only thing I did not like about NAV was live traffic update, it sucked big time especially in the city. Other then that it was fine...

Loved the joystick. And by the way, POI there was not too good ether. I think when it comes to electronics, Japanese rules no matter of what… But, I hate their cars in general… :)

jenn 3

Reaction score
I don't think the LR updates need to be free, but I sure am not paying $250 to update a lame system to what will still be a lame system with slightly more up to date maps.

I still get nav in my cars just because I like being able to see where I am at at all times. I just use my phone for specifics.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the TomTom nav app on my iPhone 4 - paid $50 for it about 2 years ago, and I've been getting free map and software updates ever since. I also pay $20 a year for their HD traffic service, which works much better than XM traffic or other traffic services I've seen - it is always up to date and very accurate (shows me exactly where the traffic starts and ends and it's usually spot on). I pop the iphone into a Kensington vent mount just to the right of the steering wheel and it works FAR better (at routing, re-routing and avoiding traffic) than any other nav system I've used. It also uses Google as it's POI database (so the store that opened two weeks ago is already in there). Once in a while in NYC I do tend to lose the signal a bit, but I don't find that to be a dealbreaker (since I'm really only using in areas I know for traffic). The only reason I would ever pay extra to get built in NAV in a car is if it is bundled with the rearview camera (which seems to be the case sometimes since you need the bigger screen).

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you guys tried the Waze app on the iPhone? It's a pretty cool combination of turn-by-turn GPS and social networking. It uses data acquired passively and actively from other Waze users to provide real-time updates and re-routing due to traffic flow, accidents, construction, etc. Pretty cool and very cheap.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the mail from dealer today, $248 something....Called them.....It just the map data update, no interface update.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72