Nav Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No email for me. If the update makes the interface like the 2012,I'm all over it!!!

jenn 3

Reaction score
I got a snail mail version a couple days ago. I dropped my 2010 LR4 off at the dealership today and noticed a display with some advertisement about the update. It said something like, "Is your navigation system spending a lot of time recalculating? You could be wasting lots of valuable time and gas!!"

Really? We don't generally keep our cars long enough to make updates worth it. I'm considering it, however. When we lived in CA if I entered "Starbucks" while near San Francisco, it would route me 384 miles away. To the nearest one. Right. I never use it here in NY unless I have a physical address to plug in.

Does anyone have any luck with the POI option actually accurately bringing up most to all their requests?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a snail mail version a couple days ago. I dropped my 2010 LR4 off at the dealership today and noticed a display with some advertisement about the update. It said something like, "Is your navigation system spending a lot of time recalculating? You could be wasting lots of valuable time and gas!!"

Really? We don't generally keep our cars long enough to make updates worth it. I'm considering it, however. When we lived in CA if I entered "Starbucks" while near San Francisco, it would route me 384 miles away. To the nearest one. Right. I never use it here in NY unless I have a physical address to plug in.

Does anyone have any luck with the POI option actually accurately bringing up most to all their requests?

Horrible poi database. I use my iPhone for that. Much quicker, more accurate and better directions.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR will NOT get $250 from me for an update that in my opinion should be given to us for free! Any other software i have owned for GPS never charged me for any updates of the maps. I really do not think this is fair..at all. First the GPS seems like it was put together by apprentice software programmers in school, second the product is inferior (No traffic?) and lastly all it is are updates to maps you may never need and it promises a quicker interface? C'mon Landrover!

If they updated the entire SOFTWARE to what is now in the 2012 models than i would consider it as it do include traffic, better voice commands and it promises a much cleaner user interface (so i guess they read our forums!) with a much better and full listing's of POI's.

I guess they just look towards the future and forgetting all of us who brought the older models. At the min they should include the 2010's in any update to software enhancements.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR will NOT get $250 from me for an update that in my opinion should be given to us for free! Any other software i have owned for GPS never charged me for any updates of the maps. I really do not think this is fair..at all. First the GPS seems like it was put together by apprentice software programmers in school, second the product is inferior (No traffic?) and lastly all it is are updates to maps you may never need and it promises a quicker interface? C'mon Landrover!

If they updated the entire SOFTWARE to what is now in the 2012 models than i would consider it as it do include traffic, better voice commands and it promises a much cleaner user interface (so i guess they read our forums!) with a much better and full listing's of POI's.

I guess they just look towards the future and forgetting all of us who brought the older models. At the min they should include the 2010's in any update to software enhancements.

What other vehicles have you owned with a factory installed nav unit?

I've had a Lexus, Volkswagen, Acura, and the LR4 with nav, and map updates weren't free on any of them. The $250 that LR wants for the update is about the average of what all the others got. (I think it was $300 or $350 for the Lexus update.)

Whether or not you choose to buy it is up to you. Personally, I won't, since I'm not too concerned about it. (My Lexus had a 7 year old map disk when I traded it in.)

Just don't expect to go buy a vehicle from another manufacturer, and assume they are going to provide free map updates.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I don't kmow of any carmaker that gives the update for free. On the other hand, how often you need to update it? I am not planning to since I will probably trade it in in two years, but if the update will make it more user friendly, that's a whoel different story.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never updated any of them on my previous cars, and won't update the LR one either. For as little as I actually use the nav, and how I use it, it isn't worth it to me.

I've also never seen a map update that had any impact on the nav interface / functionality.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a 2004 Pacifica (Piece of crap) and in 2008, the update was FREE. I will admit it was DVD based but still...update is still an update. I do know some make and models, the dealership require you to pay for an update but i would say the same thing about all them. I don't believe in paying for something that i feel should be a right to us to have. I mean when i chose the technology package it states comes with an working GPS installed. I would think for the life of the vehicle, anything that GPS needs to perform adequately to the standards of the first day it was purchased should be given to us unless there is usage damage by the owner. In this modern day of technology there are workarounds to avoid being tethered to more charges. These are my opinions and i don't mean to come off biased or anything so my apologies if i am. I am just a consumer and i feel our financial rights have been abused in regards to certain things. I suppose.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a 2004 Pacifica (Piece of crap) and in 2008, the update was FREE. I will admit it was DVD based but still...update is still an update. I do know some make and models, the dealership require you to pay for an update but i would say the same thing about all them. I don't believe in paying for something that i feel should be a right to us to have. I mean when i chose the technology package it states comes with an working GPS installed. I would think for the life of the vehicle, anything that GPS needs to perform adequately to the standards of the first day it was purchased should be given to us unless there is usage damage by the owner. In this modern day of technology there are workarounds to avoid being tethered to more charges. These are my opinions and i don't mean to come off biased or anything so my apologies if i am. I am just a consumer and i feel our financial rights have been abused in regards to certain things. I suppose.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on the subject - no arguments on that.

I was just making the point that charging for a map database update is not at all unique to Land Rover, and their pricing is pretty much in line with other car makers that I've had experience with.

jenn 3

Reaction score
I can't remember what make the car was, but I do know we had one suv where we were mailed reminders for the first one or two yearly map upgrades for free. It was likely a dealer incentive for the buyer, and not something that came standard.

BMW nav systems, in our experiences, have proven superior to the one in our LR4. Our poi option is so bad it is laughable. I felt almost certain that it was faulty it is so bad. I, too, just prop my phone up in front of the map when I need poi. Especially when in big city traffic... way easier to read which lane I need on my phone than on my nav display.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72