Need a Second Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of one of the cheap sub-$100 OBD scanners that will program a key?
I have no idea. The Foxwell being able to do this for <$200 was news to me. It would have to be a tool with JLR-specific software (similar to Foxwell/Schwaben). No generic OBD-2 reader will have capability to clone keys.

Makes me wonder what else Foxwell can (or can't) do vs the ±$500 GAP IID tool, which is what I have.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. The Foxwell being able to do this for <$200 was news to me.

Same here. I am surprised we didn't have that tidbit somewhere in the forum archives. Frankly I thought the Foxwell interface/instructions were confusing. There seemed to be a few moments of guesswork involved during the programming of the new fob, and a message that programming failed when it clearly worked. #technology

Brizzity

Reaction score
I have no idea. The Foxwell being able to do this for <$200 was news to me. It would have to be a tool with JLR-specific software (similar to Foxwell/Schwaben). No generic OBD-2 reader will have capability to clone keys.

Makes me wonder what else Foxwell can (or can't) do vs the ±$500 GAP IID tool, which is what I have.

I checked out the Foxwell on Amazon and there's one review that says it will do it, one that says it won't. All the references in the Q&A say it doesn't. I don't know if people are misinformed or it's a subtle difference between the Foxwell and Schwaben perhaps.

Someone in the support section of the Foxwell site said they were unable to pair. Clearly the video posted shows the Schwaben doing it successfully. Has anyone successfully done it with the Foxwell?

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the eBay fob working. Remember that if the fob battery dies, the "emergency" starting function described in the owner's manual will not work. You MUST have a good fob battery for the reprogrammed eBay key.

For the metal door key, you can buy them from the dealer pre-cut for your VIN. These are sold separately from the fob. The metal key is part number LR012408, my dealer charged $70 for it two years ago. Fit perfectly in the door tumbler. If the used eBay fob included a metal key, either mark it so you know it doesn't fit, or toss it (preferably after getting a replacement that fits your truck).

I will have to read about the emergency starting, that is new to me. The fob didn't come with the blank, so I purchased a couple of blanks that I am going to have cut. My local locksmith said he can do them. Figured it would be good to have an actual key for the door.

I did test the OEM key in the door handle, it worked, and the alarm went off. Then somehow my outer door handle came dislocated, and I thought I was going to have a nightmare on my hands.... I even took the door panel off to see if I could get a look from the inside. There was no way to see what was going on.... Thankfully I was able to wiggle it back into place. IMG_1448.jpegIMG_1449.jpeg

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out the Foxwell on Amazon and there's one review that says it will do it, one that says it won't. All the references in the Q&A say it doesn't. I don't know if people are misinformed or it's a subtle difference between the Foxwell and Schwaben perhaps.

Someone in the support section of the Foxwell site said they were unable to pair. Clearly the video posted shows the Schwaben doing it successfully. Has anyone successfully done it with the Foxwell?

The Schwaben is just a Foxwell NT510 in different clothing. All the softwares I have downloaded are from the Foxwell site. I was definitely impressed with this tool when I bought it originally for my BMW vehicles. I also had the BMW iSTA Software on a laptop, and the Foxwell did a lot of the things the iSTA could do. I think navigating the menu is the tricky thing, some functions are buried under odd sub menus. I paid $183 for mine from ECS Tuning, and the NT510 is listed with Foxwell for $139. Additional softwares are $60 each, so I have just been adding them as I go.

ABColo

Reaction score
I bought the Land Rover software for the scanner I am currently using, haven't plugged it in to the Rover yet, but for my BMW it had tons of options.

What software version are you running? I don’t have the same menu items on my Foxwell NT510

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA