need help jump starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

detroitmuscle

Reaction score
so i was an idiot and left the key in the ignition:stupid:

so i was looking at the manual and i need to connect the negative end to a non-painted metal part in the engine bay...problem is, everything has a cover on it and i can't find a non-painted metal part. can someone suggest a place to put the negative end of the jumper cable or at least tell me how to remove the engine cover so i can hook it up to a nut bolt on the engine. thanks in advance from your newest member :proud:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just go to the battery I know some people say not to. tHAT IT CAN CAUSE elec. problems if you get a spike I have even heard of people saying the battery will blow up
guess I am a risk taker. The engine cover should pop off THEIR ARE 4 bolts on top recessed in just undo them and it should come off

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just go to the battery I know some people say not to. tHAT IT CAN CAUSE elec. problems if you get a spike I have even heard of people saying the battery will blow up
guess I am a risk taker. The engine cover should pop off THEIR ARE 4 bolts on top recessed in just undo them and it should come off

I do the same thing. I know that you're not really supposed to but I'm pretty sure that as long as the cables go on the right order there shouldn't be a problem.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 reasons for not connecting the negative to the battery.

First is that the way electricity flows (electrons flow from negative to positive) by connecting directly to the frame or engine you have a quicker path for electrons to flow when jump starting.

The second and most important reason is sparks. The last cable to be connected is always the negative. Inevitably you will always see some sparks when connecting this last cable. Batteries produce Hydrogen gas which is very flammable. Today's batteries are sealed however they still have small vents to vent this gas should it build up in the battery. If by chance your battery happened to vent some gas right before you hook it up, a big boom could happen. Thus the further away from the negative terminal you hook the last jumper cable up to the better.

One last thing to take note of when jump starting is voltage spikes can fry the computers in the car. One way to help eliminate this is to turn on the lights on the car with the dead battery BEFORE you hook up the cables. I know this seems counter intuative to jump starting a car with a dead battery but by turning on the lights you are presenting a path for that excess voltage to go to thus keeping it AWAY from the computers.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DETROITMUSCLE & MUSTBEAUDI

Are you guys members with GLLRC www.gllrc.com

Hopefully we will get a winter run going.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink