Need Help w/ LR3 Towing Capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O

Outrageous

It seems to me that all the tongue weight is carried by the key-locked latch on the receiver which fits into the rectangular opening seen in this photo. I hope that latch is stronger than it looks.
DSCN1135.jpg

F

Freeflytim

Damn Magic! I wished mine was that clean!! The belly of my truck is mud colored!!!

Mad Kudos for posting the pix for the non hitch bearing people with questions.

JimRoshan

Reaction score
OK guys,

I am 8 days into my trip accross the country. We are currently in Jackson WY getting ready for a snow storm tonight! Can't wait to play again with the LR3 in the snow up in Teton National Park!!

Here are my observations so far:
- Weight Distribution System - Don't need it. I have not had any problems at all balancing out the LR3 and the trailer so far. We have pulled the trailer (around 5,500 lbs full) from Bowling Green, Ky. up through IL and then accross IA and SD.

Problems so far have been with the LR3 not the lack of a WDS or the installed Anti-sway System (BTW - works great - especially when those big truck pass you like they are racing the Indy 500.) The LR3 lacks the power to pull like a "big" truck. I spent most of the trip between 3rd and 4th gear. Rarely cruising in 5th.
6th? What is that?
Gas mileage is horrible - 8.5 MPG was average through KY, IN and IL (Avg speed 55-60 MPH). IA started the strong cross winds and rain storms - average MPG - 4-5. Then Hell hit. We left Rapid City SD for Mt Rushmore - 6% grades up and down. Truck was crying all the way. We left SD and headed to Buffalo WY. The head wind was so strong I had the truck floored in 3rd and 4th gear all the way to reach 55 MPH (The speed limit is 75). I am very dissapointed in the LR3 and it's towing capabilities. We decided to leave the trailer in Buffalo because the trek to Yellowstone goes through 2 very high mountain passes with a ton of swithbacks. After transversing these passes without the trailer I am now very, very happy with my decision to ditch the trailer. I found a campground, in Buffalo, to leave the trailer hooked up to the electric so the fridge keeps cold for only $5 per night. the hotel in Jackson is less than $50 per night - the money I saved on gas is paying the difference. We are planing on staying here till Friday then making our way back to Buffalo to retrieve the trailer. I am planning on going south to Denver and then accross Kansas back to KY. That trip I have made before and know the trip is will not be that ******* the truck while pulling the trailer. I LOVE MY LR3 without my trailer! If you have an LR3 and plan on pulling a trailer then don't go through any kind of mountainous area. Stay on flat ground and you will do fine. I plan on traveling the southeast, northeast and southwest - but no more mountains!! Without the trailer it is the best truck you can have in the mountains.

My computer shows 350 potential miles on a full tank of gas. While pulling the trailer I am lucky to get 130-170 total miles to a tank!!! Very scarry!!

Will send more as we get back on the road. The "grand tour" should end by mid week next week.

Wish me luck!!

Jim Roshan

X

xray

Thanks for the info, Jim. Very helpful. Appreciate the feedback.

A couple of "notes":

1) Weight distribution (WD) is only rarely "needed". It is required, IMHO, anytime anyone is towing a travel trailer beyond a certain weight. The benefits go beyond what you might feel or notice. It is as much a safety issue as a comfort one... This is often a hard argument to make but let it be said (and I quote) "weight distribution hitches evenly distribute weight over the entire length of the towing vehicle and trailer, resulting in a more level ride with more control and stability. Weight distribution hitches also deliver better braking, less strain on the towing vehicle and increased towing capacity." 'nuff said.

2) My Touareg also depicts 350 miles to empty whenever I fill. I've been told that it is a number that is programmed and not derived (i.e. computed)... Go figure!

Have a safe remainder of your trip! Let us know how the Teton's snow is!

X

T

toddjb123

JimRoshan said:
... I had the truck floored in 3rd and 4th gear all the way to reach 55 MPH (The speed limit is 75). I am very dissapointed in the LR3 and it's towing capabilities. We decided to leave the trailer in Buffalo because the trek to Yellowstone goes through 2 very high mountain passes with a ton of swithbacks....

Jim, thanks for the detailed writeup. I love my LR3 as well but this does confirm an earlier observation of mine that there is no substitute for a BIG engine! I don't care what kind of specs they can tune out of our 4.4 (or whatever), get yourself a 5.8L HEMI or some big old Ford/Chevy engine if you want to tow!

-todd

M

mvg

Would shifting the transfer gear to low help in the hill-climbing sections of your trip?

C

Colt45

Jim Roshan - - could you please tell us the type/weight of the travel trailer
youre hauling with the LR3 ?

Yes, like others I'm wondering about the 'real' tongue weight rating on this
vehicle. - - - I've got a 19' Airstream and its pretty light (but much too
cramped for current family needs). I'd like to upgrade to a larger Airstream
but the ones I'm looking at have tongue weights that exceed the 550#
rating. Why have a 7700# tow rating if your tongue rating isn't up to it ?
Anybody know of any 7700# travel trailers with a 500# tongue weight ?
Regards, - - -

P.S. - - Anybody that is having their brake controller installed should have
the job completed in about a half hour to 45 minutes (which is generous).
All it takes is plugging the thing in and a few screws to mount it where you
want.

D

daytomann

toddjb123 said:
Jim, thanks for the detailed writeup. I love my LR3 as well but this does confirm an earlier observation of mine that there is no substitute for a BIG engine! I don't care what kind of specs they can tune out of our 4.4 (or whatever), get yourself a 5.8L HEMI or some big old Ford/Chevy engine if you want to tow!

-todd

True, true! there is no replacement for displacement when towing something substantial. My Ford 5.4 V-8 tows WAY better than my previous 4.6 V-8.
If we get the LR3, I do plan on using it to tow our boat (about 4500lbs) but only for fairly short distances. And I will not tow with it very often. But its nice to know that it should be able to handle it on the few times I will need to use it for towing.

P

pnazz

P.S. - - Anybody that is having their brake controller installed should have
the job completed in about a half hour to 45 minutes (which is generous).
All it takes is plugging the thing in and a few screws to mount it where you
want.[/QUOTE]

Is the connector above the brake pedal(gray in color with 5 wires)?

Which controller did you install and did you have to buy a specific connector to fit one above?

Thanks for the help.

PN

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM