Need Help w/ LR3 Towing Capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W

w6000

mconnet said:
I know- this tongue weight question is a real problem; I wish we could escalate it up to a LR engineer and get a straight answer.

On the leveling, you should be able to buy a tongue with the right amount of offset; I think they sell them with 1", 2" 3" etc. offsets, up or down.

I'll look at the equalizer site.

I would be careful about anything a Land Rover engineer had to offer. IMO the whole towing issue is one thing I believe Land Rover screwed up with the LR3. When I bought my LR3 the people at the dealership didn't know a thing about the towing. They told me that It would cost $800 to add towing to the LR3. They did not even know that all LR3's have the receiver installed you just need to buy the hitch. And the electric not included, No trailer brake wiring, in addition to the supplemental fuse box for the trailer lights not even in exisitence. The manual is almost completely wrong when it comes to the towing.

M

mconnet

Well, this is good info and not inconsistent with what I've experienced (my dealer didn't know the difference between a receiver, a hitch and a high ball-vodka or gin). What is the truth about towing with the LR3? Have you learned anything that could help the rest of us?

X

xray

Does anyone really tow anything with their LR3 yet???

It is inconceivable that anyone would tow anything of any weight without weight distribution, IMHO (that goes for a brake controller and trailer mirrors, too). Seasoned travel trailer owners have known forever that weight distribution hitches are much more than distributing weight. The setup creates leverage between the tow vehicle and trailer that make the package act almost as one, so to speak. It is hugely important once you experience the difference in handling and safety.

I am following this thread because, frankly, I like LR's - alot. I traded my DII for a Touareg because the Touareg can tow. And tow it does. It climbs mountain passes like there's no tomorrow. The DII was a terrible tow vehicle. I owned three over the years before the release of the LR3. I'm hoping the LR3 can tow something into the #5,000 range safely and effectively.

My Touareg has air suspension and it too reports in the owner's manual that weight distribution is "verboten" (forbidden in German). There are dozens, if not hundreds, using weight distribution to perfect success on the Touareg. None of us worry about the "warranty". Read on...

Weight distribution, for those that understand, is a user variable "setting" at the hitch. One can use as little or as much weight distribution as one feels is necessary, prudent, or required usually by adjusting the number of chain links one uses. BUT, weight distribution adds remarkable improvements in handling and safety.

If LR has a gestapo running around taking pictures of your hitch setup and they determine that you are using weight distribution, they may void your warranty - if you have a problem with the hitch or air suspension. But how the heck are they ever going to know if you don't tell them? Frankly, they are not. To offer a blanket statement like they apparently do on page 206 of the owner's manual is not only irresponsible, it is plain stupid, IMHO.

I read of a woman who tried towing either a 25' or 28' travel trailer and the hitch kept coming loose from the LR3. Clearly, she was over hitch weight by a wide margin. She started demanding that LR refund her money because of what the dealer stated relative to towing capacity. She'd have better luck at the lottery. Which reminds me of another point to remember; dealers often know little and are willing to say things to make a sale. Buyer beware! The Touareg owners went through the exact same scenario before someone (like me) decided to take the chance and hookup a significant travel trailer to the Touareg and actually go somewhere with it. I've now towed over 12,000 miles and it has proven to be a towing monster, it is that good. OMG, I would love to hear a success story with the LR3 towing a trailer in my weight range.

If the LR3 uses some proprietary hitch receiver that precludes the use of industry standard aftermarket hitches (you know what I mean; class 3, class 2, and so forth) then there is a problem and is probably the reason why the woman, above, had problems.

Go LR3 owner, Go! We need your feedback!

M

mconnet

Reply to Xray

Amen, Xray; Thanks for the post, it sounds like you know what you're talking about! We need help from experienced towers like you.

To recp, I think you're saying a) you haven't yet towed with an LR3 so you're not sure exactly what it will do (by the way, I hope it will tow more than the 5,000 lb. you imply might be its max,- I'm counting on the factory spec of 7,700 lb.); and b) your experience is that weight distribution hitches can be tuned for any suspension and are beneificial in all tow vehicle and towing situations, regardless of what the manufactuer may say.

Could you explain further you comment about 'proprietary hitch reciever' and 'aftermarket hitches'? My LR3's factory towing package has 1) a frame attachment hidden behind a removable plastic panel on the bumber, 2) after removing the plastic panel you insert and secure the hitch receiver which is nornmally stored in a compartment inside the cago area, 3) the hitch receiver has a 2" square hole which accepts a standard 2" square hitch tongue, on which the hitch ball is mounted (the hitch tongues are aftermarket products which come in various size offsets so you can achieve a level trailer situation). As noted in previous posts, my hitch receiver is stamped "max tongue weight 750 lbs", even thought the manual says the max tongue weight is 550 lbs.

Thanks!

X

xray

mconnet,

Yep, that is exactly what I am saying.

Insofar as the LR hitch is concerned, I have to admit that I haven't seen one firsthand. I love the LR dealership folks so much that I hate to even stop over there with my Touareg because they look hurt when I do... And, frankly, I'd rather own a LR than a VW anyday. VW service is, well, ...

It is pretty critical that the LR3 receiver accept "standard" hitch setups. A weight distributing system includes a receiver or hitch attached to the tow vehicle (the LR factory receiver, in this case), a hitch head mounted on a shank that fits into the receiver opening, a spring bar assembly that fits into the hitch head, and hook-up brackets that connect the other end of the spring bars to the trailer frame with chain.

See this pic:
awd_display2.jpg

Can someone post a pic of their LR3 hitch receiver and their shank/ball?

I can't reflect on what the owner's manual says versus what the hitch receiver says. The #550 number is one that LR has stood by for years in their manuals. It is likely that they simply kept it. I'd love to hear clarification from someone that really knows what the tongue weight limit on the LR3 is. Is it #750 or is it #550? Anyone talk to anybody at LR about this?

I will say this; just because the hitch says #750, does not mean that there aren't other limits that LR is considering (suspension, transmission, etc,). I think it would be difficult for LR to void a warranty, however, if their receiver is stamped with a different number than the manual and someone relied on the receiver info.

There are a couple of gents in Canada that frequently test tow vehicles; Garth Cane and Andy Thompson of RV Lifestyles Magazine. I sent Andy an email a couple of weeks ago but have not heard from him. Both these guys told me that my Touareg would be a towing monster and they were right. Can someone followup?

Let's keep this thread rolling and figure out what the LR3 can do!

X

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xray

I heard from Andy Thomson with RV Lifestyles Magazine. He is thinking about the LR3. In the meantime, can someone please post pics of both the receiver and their hitch?

Thanks,

X

M

mconnet

I've got the pictures, but it won't let me paste/attach them to this thread. It says under "posting rules" that I don't have permission to post attachments. What am I doing wrong?

X

xray

Pics of hitch, etc.

Thanks mconnet. FYI, I downsized and uploaded.

X

Attachments

• LR3 Hitch Center.jpg
    LR3 Hitch Center.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 143
  • LR3 Hitch Left.jpg
    LR3 Hitch Left.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 122
  • LR3 Hitch Right.jpg
    LR3 Hitch Right.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 120
  • LR3 Hitch Side.jpg