Need Help w/ LR3 Towing Capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mconnet

I'm trying to figure out if my billy goat (2005 LR3) will safely pull a 30' long, 7,100 lb. (dual axle with brakes) travel trailer.

The LR3 is factory rated at 7,700 lbs. total weight and 550 lb. tongue weight.

I'm told that when pulling a trailer the tongue weight should fall within 10-15% of the total weight, which would imply that the LR3 should pull no more than 5,500 lbs. Apparently too low of a percentage can cause sway. I also understand that perhaps Sway Control bars can reduce or help control sway. Finally, I understand from other posts that you can not use a Weight-Distributing Hitch on the LR3 because of it's air suspension system.

Does anyone know what this biily goat can really do? Has anyone had any experience towing a large travel trailer?

Thanks in advance.

A

alindsay

I have a 25' Travel trailer I started towing with my LR3. It is around 6500 lbs and I haven't had any trouble towing it. I went from a Lincoln Navagator with a weight-dist hitch to the LR3 with a 10,000 lb rated hitch. It does seem to sway a little and the sway depends on how I load the trailer. My trailer tongue weight is ~700 lbs so your results might vary. I try to load most of the cargo in the rear so I don't increase the tongue weight anymore. Just make sure you get a properly rated hitch/ball.

F

Freeflytim

Won't you need a CDL or something to haul all that??
:laugh:

welcome!

JimRoshan

Reaction score
OK - Since we are talking about this let me ask a few questions.

I recently purchased a 2004 FOUR WINDS 19' Express Lite HYBRID travel trailer. I plan on towing it with my LR3 HSE. I have yet to hook these two up.

1) i have been told that since the LR3 has an air suspension system you don't need a Weight Distribution System. Just hook it up and go. Is this true? My 2" drop hitch and ball are a good 12" lower that my trailer's hookup. When I go to hook them up together will they balance out and drive straight? Or do I need to get a hitch with a higher ball?

2) My LR dealer installed the brake controller (what a long story that was!!) after a grulling 6 hours. I have not yet tried it out. Actually, I have never used one before. Any sugestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

3) My LR dealer told me that I would not need an anti-sway control device since the truck comes with the DCS option. Is this true? If not - waht do you recommend?

4) My hitch has stamped into it a rating of 770 lbs tounge weight. Do I have a different hitch than other out there?

Thanks for you help!!
Jim
Bowling Green, Ky.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Anti-Sway control is always a good idea when towing. Some don't use them, but if you ever tow with this set up, you will not want to go with out it again.

Brake control is fairly easy... hook up your trailer, and take for a short drive. Adjust the brakes on the controller till the brakes just about lock up on full braking. (best to do on a loanly stretch of road or big empty parking lot)

Hitch/ball, you want it to ride level if at all possible. There are many good hitch set ups out there, a good weight distribution hitch would be a good thing, combined that with Anti-sway and you will have a happy towing experience.

Hope this helps.

T

tommithy

The LR manual specifically prohibits the use of a weight distribution hitch. It is on page 206 of your owners manual.

M

mconnet

Reply to JimRoshan

Thanks for your post, Jim. I, too, am new to towing and I'm learning more than I want to- why the manufacturer can't put out clear/concise directions on this matter amazes me (they must be out to afternoon tea!).

1. Proper towing requires that the trailer be level. So, to achieve this, you must buy a ball/tongue (the part that fits into the hitch reciever) that compensates for any difference in the elevation of the LR3 and your trailer. These are available with different sized offsets (up or down) so you can get close to the elevation of your trailer.

2. There is no mention in my manual (printed in 2004 for an LR3 delivered in the Fall of 2004), on page 206 or otherwise as far as I can find, of a prohibition on use of a weight distribtion hitch. My dealer doesn't know either. However, I've seen enough other posts around the web that I think this is true.

3. When I read your post I went out and looked at my receiver- like yours, it is also stamped with a maximum tongue weight of 750 lbs. This conflicts with what the manual says (550 lbs.) and what the manufacturer is publicizing in it's specs. Can anyone help us resolve this? This is a big, big deal and the correct spec needs to be communicated. For instance, I went to a RV dealer several weeks ago and asked them to show me trailers that the LR3 could tow. They looked up the LR3 in their trade technical publications and said the LR3 is rated to tow 5,500 lbs. (ie: the trailer tow weight is supposed to be within 10-15% of the rated tongue weight. If LR rates the LR3 tongue weight at 550 lbs., the then max trailer weight is 5,500 lbs., not 7,700 lbs.). For liability reasons, the dealer said they wouldn't sell me anything that I was going to pull off their lot that exceeded 5,500 lbs.

4. I'm surprised that your dealer installed a brake controller. My dealer says this is an aftermarket item and they can't supply, nor install one. Please let me know what brand/model you have installed and any more details around the issues you ran into. The good news, as I understand from other posts, is that the LR3 is the first LR product which is prewired for a brake controller.

5. On the anti-sway control device, I don't know anything about these. Would love to learn more if anyone can educate us. Also, Jim, what is the DCS option?

Thanks guys!

JimRoshan

Reaction score
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) - The HSE has it and it is designed to damper sway in the truck. Not sure what all it does.

According to the Landrover site Maximum trailer weight: trailer with brakes 7,700 lb. (3,500 kg) and Maximum tongue weight 550 lb. (250 kg) for the LR3. Then why does it have 750 lbs stamped o nthe side of the hitch?

The Brake contorller is a Primus Brake Control. I got it from Camping World. My dealer installed it after 6 hours of wiring the plug (that was susposed to be there in the first place). I have not yet had the chance to test it out yet. Acording to LR the LR3 is the forst vechile to have this plug already installed by the brake pedal. Somehow mine got missed. LR paid to have it installed for me. The dealer had to splice a new plug into the harness of the brake controller so it would plug into the plug in the LR3.

getting the LR3 level to the hieght of the tounge of the trailer is going to be the hard part. Is there a hitch out there that you can raise and lower the ball?

What about the www.equalizerhitch.com for a sway contol device since we can't install a Weight Distribution Device on the LR3.

M

mconnet

I know- this tongue weight question is a real problem; I wish we could escalate it up to a LR engineer and get a straight answer.

On the leveling, you should be able to buy a tongue with the right amount of offset; I think they sell them with 1", 2" 3" etc. offsets, up or down.

I'll look at the equalizer site.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** the wheel left then right and back left and you'll find out what DSC does. It grabs the damn truck and points it straight... It's freaky!

Don't **** yourself...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM