Need opinions/answers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RoverChic said:
Matt ~ Yes they are AWD (all the time 4 wheel drive) which means mega gas guzzlers ..Looking at maybe anywhere between 11-15 mpg.

Ahemm.. little 101:

AWD - all wheel drive
4WD - four wheel drive.

AWD is not full time 4WD :) Subaru is AWD, Discovery is full time 4WD. XTerra is part-time 4WD. Suburban Caravan is front 2WD. Hyindai Accent is rear 2WD :)

full time 4WD basically means you got both axles (rear & front) engaged all the time. But in open situation and throwing away ETC/HDC and other C - it will still behave like 2WD in loosy traction condition. However full time 4WD is a bit easier on finding traction back. But if you in situation when you got no traction on 1 wheel - that wheel will get all the power, just like with 2WD. And your only hope is to have momentum that throws you away from dangerous place. To help this - Central Lock is designed.

AWD is when actually all wheels getting equally powered when need arising.

However Disco is heavy enough to rarely get into situation on road when you really got to use CDL.

In fact it can do same trails not engaging CDL where others cant move further without going into locked 4L (how i know - i tried it :)).

Mileage however sucks for full time 4WD over AWD. Mostly b/c AWD vehicles are like 1/4 of weight , lower, get better aerodynamics. But AWD vehicles got puny clearance b/c of that.

But 11-15mpg is too low. You can get about 20-21mpg on highways out of Discovery, if you easy on gas, using momentum properly and taking care of truck. City's mileage is the worst. Discovery simply sucks as daily driver, b/c its very heavy and stop-and-go traffic is taking its nasty toll on them. Thats where you may range 9-15mpg, depending on situation.

They arent without quirks, but that what isnt. Good thing about older D1s is that they are much much more simple to maintain. Bad thing - they all now at pretty high mileage. Later D1s are in better shape, but they are more complex.

D2s are a tad bigger, got more electronics in them and may have or not have CDL (lately reintroduced again). Depending on valuability of CDL for your type of offroading it may play some role. They are in better shape normally than D1s. But they are harder to maintain. Bigger engine though - more power. If you care ;)

outdoorfever

Reaction score
redrover51 said:
Yes , these vehicles are PIGS!, but look at the positives....................................................................................................................................................................well, when a pig eats at the trough, you know that some day you will butcher him, and get lots of money for his choice parts. till then, you have the joy of seeing his powerful performance when pushing his way to the fuel, er, food. Then there's the times when he gets so full of mud from rolling about with his friends! ahhh the joys of owning a swine!, only the brave at heart would ever consider a courtship with one of these! Welcome to the FARM Surferboy!

Now that is funny!! :biggrin:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
It was a *typo* 4WD ... :bootyshak
But yeah ...One ?? Serg how are you getting 21 mpg? Are u confusing that with the X?? :biggrin: :tongue: That is insane ...You mean highway right? I get if I push it 320 per tank that is when the little yellow light comes on and the Rover starts to run dry..

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
OK ..Just did the math 23 gallon tank. Lets just say 20mpg times 23 = 460?? Holy Cow!!! That is like WOW!! WOAH!!! Can I buy your Rover Serg..Please?? :proud:

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, it's me again! I get 16 mpg average on a good week, 14 mpg on a bad week, and 27 mpg on weeks that I don't drive it at all. That's because I'm driving something else! Thank You, LRW.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you do to drive so many miles, Melissa? $500/mo is like 10 tankfuls over here, even running premium. 10 tankfuls @ 300 miles per tank = 3000 miles per month.

Did I miss something there?

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
One word = TEXAS
I forgot to add that I also GUN it ..No sticky valves here. (pray)..Actually I am on way to Texas now...

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me Disco and X getting about same mileage , Melissa. Though X is a way better on city driving.

I am just driving it like old lady, i guess :) Plus i am trying to keep things squeaky clean in there - despite all the fun that Marc and Mike made at me for cleaning spark plugs every now and then :) And keeping 30-34 psi in my freakishly tall tires :)

And i havent drove it on highway long enough yet to check out how this Jacobs thing affected mileage :) And my current issues with alternator screwing me up in city driving pretty badly - interminiently working alternator tying ECU brains in knots on EFI engines.. :(

Last edited:

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, I know what you mean by TEXAS! I have that a similiar issue called MISSOURI! It seems like about 8 mi. to the end of my drive way, followed by 25 mi. thru the middle of nowhere to end up at a paved road that may take you near a village. I don't gun it at take-off, but by the same token, as driving thru the middle of nowhere i have never driven my Rover slow! I also have never driven any faster than it can go! Thank You, LRW.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635