Neglected Alloy Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I'm thinking about how to get my new, pre-owned LR3 dirty, but... it looks like the prior owner neglected the alloy wheels a bit. There is some brake dust "fused" on to the wheels in some spots. I started with the basics; Maguire's, Mothers, etc. spray on and rinse off, not even close. This isn't just a layer of dust, it's "fused" into some of the crevices. Next try was some of the highly touted P21S / S100. This is the stuff that the detailers use. A little better but doesn't appear to be the solution. I tested a very small area with Bar Keepers Friend which does the trick but involves alot of rubbing. Consequently, the brake residue has metal particles in it that scratch the wheel. So there it is... any ideas on a safe, mainly spray off approach? I am going to re-try the P21S after letting it sit for a few hours (safe according to them) then use a low setting power washer.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using a good rubbing compound and after cleaning them wax them with some paste Carnuba wax so the brake dust won't stick.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue when I bought my pre-loved Audi S4! What worked for me is the P21s GEL! What I did is remove each wheel and apply the GEL and let it sit about 2-4 hours. Then take a soft brush and plenty of water and start scrubbing the wheels.

That worked for me!

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try some gentle oven cleaner. worked like a champ for me. ill have to find out what brand i used.

ygrowup

Reaction score
Oven cleaner is an amazing product with many uses. I use it to clean the plastic floor in my shower. I figured it comes in a plastic bottle, so it can't hurt the plastic floor. Worked like nothing else. Your wife will think you scrubed for hours.....:biggrin:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use oven cleaner to clean off rubber shoe marks from my pipes on the bike, Makes the chrome shine like new. Woks best when they are hot. Would be a little tough to heat up rims but if you let it sit a bit that works good as well.

Last edited:

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a good wheel cleaning, I use this stuff twice a year-spring and fall-Collinite Insulator Wax. Originally designed for high tension wire insulators and outboard boat drives, this stuff is pretty durable under temperature and weather extremes. Will not stop brake dust from accumulating but will help it slide off easier.
http://www.colliniteautomotive.com/products.htm#liquid845

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using a good rubbing compound and after cleaning them wax them with some paste Carnuba wax so the brake dust won't stick.
Hang on, you don't want to do that. You will remove / scratch the paint leaving the wheels looking damaged.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general rule with painted / clearcoated wheels is

Our Rovers have painted and clearcoated wheels, much like the painted surfaces on the car. Thus, you want to treat them just as you'd treat paint to avoid damage.

Oven cleaner will damage your wheels. Rubbing compound may be too harsh.

I would use the p21s gel stuff... it works great. It's also not readily available at retail stores. So I have also used wheel cleaners with great success --buy a good brand like meguiars or whatever, and if the wheel dust is really baked on, a very soft toothbrush helps. Get a wheel cleaner for painted or "factory" wheels. Don't spray wheel cleaner on hot wheels, and dont let it dry on the wheels. Ever. Also dont inhale the spray, that stuff stinks and is probably very bad for your lungs. I know alot of wheel cleaners say they're totally safe, but dont believe it, they'll mar, cloud or strip the paint's clearcoat from the wheels if left on to dry or for too long.

The claims that you just spray it on and hose it off are not generally true... and if so, you risk damage to your wheels.

I clean my wheels every week and about every six months wax them with just normal car wax or if I have it, something called WHEEL WAX that is wax made especially for wheels. Clay barring your wheels or polishing them with polish the same way you'd polish paint on your truck pre-waxing works great too for removing embedded grime/discolorations.

But one of the facts is that if your wheels have been damaged/pitted by brake dust, they've been damaged already so the best you can do is clean them, protect or seal them, and keep the dust off.

Also, wheels just look better when waxed. Shinier, more reflective. Its something I have never done before I got my LR3, but I wish I did.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4