New LR on the forum!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suacla

Reaction score
Hello there. This is my first posting, so it is going to be a little long. No experience with LR, so I really need some help here. My son just come back from NY with his 1996 DISC I, automatic 4.0 Land Rover. He just graduated from USMA at West Point and now he is ready for his new vehicle. He wants to "donate" his LR to his younger brother which of course puts me in charge of maintenance of this thing. The vehicle is a "rust bucket", coming from NY, but otherwise it looks mechanical sound. On the other hand, I have three lights on the cluster requiring attention and I need some help.For the looks of the vehicle and after an exhaustive inspection it is clear to me this vehicle was parked at the dealer for quite some time before my son bought it. Then, he only used it sporadic and for very short trips around west point area for the last three years keeping it on the weather. Probably never got the oil hot enough!
First, and more important, I think it is the red SRS light.I never work with this type of systems before (specially air bags) and I just need to be sure; Is the vehicle safe to drive? When we run an OBD check, not codes come associate with the SRS system. How I go to figure out what it is wrong (of course, other than going to Austin to the dealer!). It is there any way to check the system by itself?
Second, the Anti-lock amber light. I can not find anywhere (owners manual, or shop manual) any indication of what may cause this light to go on. They do mention the ABS system and the ABS light, but I do not think they are the same; Are they? Any ideas what maybe the problem. I already done a full brake job (the light was on before the job and I assumed at that time it may need some brake work done. Calipers were in very bad shape, but I have all of them working). Again, not codes on OBD references to anti-lock or ABS system failures. It is the anti-lock system an independent system or a function of the ABS? How do you check it?
Finally, the easy one, but probably the longest. The engine light. I get like 8 codes on this one, and after doing a full tune-up (spark plugs, wires etc etc) I still get the same codes, especially miss-fire, O2 sensor (my son installed the 4 brand new, but we still getting one is bad!) and the big one, Catalytic converter. I am afraid I have some old codes still there. Can the light be reset and let the computer reset itself before running a diagnostic again? Can the coils be check somehow to be sure are working perfectly? What about the injectors?
On other note, I need to transfer the vehicle from my son to me, but I do not think I can pass the state inspection with the lights on. Can I reset the lights until I pass the inspection (I even do not know if this is legal or no, so do not call the THP!) and I can keep the repairs going? I did not see that possibility with my OBD tool (somebody says that you need an special code to reset the computer???).
Well, I think this is all for now. Sorry for the long message, but I have to put everything out there! Thank all for any help you can send my way!

Ignacio

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope I don't miss anything...

First welcome to the forum.

SRS light is normally a seatbelt issue (not showing connected) sadly airbags are to be replaced every 10 years per the owners manual anyways... (I have disconnected mine and removed the offending light. But yes it is safe to drive.

ABS = Anti lock brakes. Normally is a bad ABS sensor at one of the wheels. Again we are talking an old Land Rover. I removed the 30 amp ABS fuse under the hood near the battery and removed the offending light bulb. You can go to the dealer if you like and spend $1200 or more for them to replace ABS sensors and have the light come back on.... your call. Yes it is safe to drive without the ABS working (of course I am not sure how well this goes at your inspection I live in OHIO where I don't have to deal with that stuff.

You OBDII scanner should be able to clear codes, clear all the codes and see if they come back after driving for a while. before working about what may or may not be still issues. It sounds like maybe a dirty air filter or Mass Air Flow sensor (the thing between the air filter and the intake) buy some MAF sensor cleaner and clean it.

Hope this helps.

suacla

Reaction score
Joey.
Thank you for the replay.
It looks like a plan with the SRS. I will check all the seat belts connections and see what happens, and if not, go to plan B, remove fuse and light bulb.
Is it there anyway to check the ABS sensor or it is one of those "hit and miss" things? The brakes look like working good (well, after I fix the thing, it blow the main metal line from front to back and I need to replace it now! I guess to much pressure on the old rusted lines!) and the vehicle stops good. Great parking brake, but I had not done a "panic/emergency" brake yet!
I need to hit very seriously my OBD tool manual. I was not sure if that "clearing code" was a reality or some "urban legend". Well, I start hitting it next week and I will post what is happening.

Ignacio

Pikulone

Reaction score
SRS Problem

I worked this problem which was caused by a "clockwork spring." Get a RAVE manual or CD. Look at the steering wheel assembly where the component is located. If the routine check of seat belts does not produce result, try my suggestion. Jerry

Pikulone

Reaction score
Cruise Control Clock Spring Mechanism

It has been 3 years since I corrected this problem. Just go to "Steering" in the RAVE manual or CD. You will find this mechanism is part of the steering wheel assembly. Replacing or re-setting it (if not broken) will clear the SRS warning light.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99