New Range Rover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

disco1

It's about time LR got serious!
Finally a dedicated, off-road capable 4x4, not some wishy washy, soft off-roader like the porsche cayenne, mercedes AM55, or BMW M5, although I don't think you will see to many of them around Moab.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SteveA

It should be great. The only thing that surprises me is the time frame for launch. All the information I've seen says we should have it in dealerships in November of next year. If we get it around the middle of 2005 that would be even better!

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disco1 said:
... although I don't think you will see to many of them around Moab.
I tell you what, I would try it out in Moab!

It would probably be too much power for most off-roading situations; well, maybe not too much power but it would take a while to adjust your off-road driving patterns with that much power and torque available.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a cross between an Audi Quattro wagon and a Volvo XC. I want to see it up close and personal.

Slightly off-topic: I finally saw an LR3 at the local dealership, and took a peek at it. With two exceptions I like the appearance -- it's not as small as I feared it was. I don't like the spare-under configuration, and I don't like the exhaust running under the rear suspension. The exhaust is the lowest part of the vehicle, which strikes me as flat wrong.

D

disco1

[QUOTE well, maybe not too much power but it would take a while to adjust your off-road driving patterns with that much power and torque available.[/QUOTE]

Not so!

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disco1 said:
You have to at least explain your opinion on the subject.

My opinion was based on 100s of hours watching a V6 J**P out-crawl a V8 J**P in Moab, simply because the V8 was spinning way too much. Granted, the new RR will have the LR 4x4 system, which will utilize the ABS to limit wheel spin, but too much of this (especially with that much power) and you will be replacing brakes fast. Another problem that I have seen with too much power is that the possibility of breaking something greatly increases as the power increases. To prevent this you need to install stronger gears, etc... So back to my original statement, I still think that with that much power you will need to modify your off-road driving habits.

D

disco1

Extra power does increase the tendency to spin the wheels when in difficult situations, however, it all comes down to driver ability. I have seen a stock Susuki Vitara out perform a Discovery with lockers whilst rock climbing.
With regards to breaking something, I'am sure LR would have taken that into account when they design their vehicles.

If the driver of V8 "cheap" in Moab was a dedicated rock crawler he would have installed a hand throttle to refine his acceleration; It's quite possible that the V6 'cheap' had one fitted.

As I drive a 4.7L supercharged discovery, and off-road quite a lot, I must say that even with the extra available power (when it's required), I have very seldom experienced traction problems even with rock climbs, although I haven't done (Moab style) rock climbs.

D

disco1

FWIW, I note that LR give kilowatt/horse power figures but they don't mention that it's at the flywheel and not at the wheels. The horse power reading at the wheels won't sound anywhere as impressive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72