New Suspension! OME vs Bilstein

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audioclay

Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite? OME vs Bilstein? I am looking for an all around good replacement. The OEM suspension is just starting to get loosey goosey and its time for an upgrade. I don't want it to ride like a lumber wagon, but a little lift and some stiffness would be nice. It's still my everyday driver. Also, have done a couple replacements in the past, never on a rover. Are there any chasis mods or is it drop and go? Is this something I can do or should I take it in? GULP

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on a couple things... if you want to do a spring life up to 2 inches, no issues.

As far as shocks go, OME or very soft and will allow more lean in turns.
Bilsteins will be a little stiffer by with less lean.

Springs up to 2 inches taller are easy to install and require no other adjustments 90% of the time. In some minor cases you will get some vibration or steering feel differences.

audioclay

Reaction score
Do you see a problem mixing the OME springs and the Blistein shocks? I don't want a huge lift. And I would prefer not to have the roll in corners. She does enough of that now. And since I'm down there, I will ad the steering stabilizer.

llesra

Reaction score
i ran ome md springs( 762 & 764) and bilstein shocks for a while and it was a nice setup. i preferred the bilstein shocks to the omes but the bilsteins are slightly shorter than the omes.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have OME HD springs and bilsteins, but I am using OME for the steering stabilizer. I did this on recommendation from Great Basin Rovers. No complaints in 3 years.

SteezTight

Reaction score
I have the three inch rovertym springs heavy-duty in the front and regular in the rear with OME shocks. It was fairly easy to put in and has been workin great for me. Just a little bit of lean around the corners but with the new springs it rides like a real truck. For mine (96') I had to replace the rear driveshaft to stop the vibration, but that was it.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It a good thing we are talking about Suspensions on my 98 Disco I have the 2" blocks that fit under the base of the coil-spring (Thanks Roversnorth.com) I would like to put the HD coil-springs on and replace the shocks with Bilstine; but I need to know if I need to buy the top mount shock brackets or if the factory ones will work. If I need to buy the top mount shock brackets for the rear where can i get some for less then $150.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My Bilsteins fit without any mods or extra purchases.

llesra

Reaction score
2" spacers with hd springs would make the bilsteins too short unless you get the 7100s

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
True... I was just thinking the HD Springs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9