New to the forum - Pickup 2014 LR4 today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt1t

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, however I'm not new to Land Rover. I had a 2001 Disco II back in the day and loved that thing. I did most of the work on it myself, but at the time with two young kids I sold it. Since my Ford Explorer has recently died, I was in the market for a new SUV. My wife found this LR 4 on Carvana and I've never used this service before. As some of you may know, they give you a 7 day risk free trial of the vehicle. Over the next few days, I want to go over this thing. Just to give you a little back ground, the vehicle is a 2014 with 57,000 miles on it and appears to have been driving in the Dallas TX area.

I certainly am up for suggestions on what I should be looking at once I get it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle history. Oil changed every 7k or based on Land Rover's recommended 15K intervals?

Play in the rear bushings in the front, lower control arms.

Have the coolant system pressure checked. You are about due for a front crossover coolant pipe and new water pump.

jgaarder

Reaction score
Recently bought an 2011 LR4 with 85k. Needed to replace cross over pipe and water pump and rear breaks. Check for timing chain noise too since in addition to the cooling system this can be a common problem.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently bought an 2011 LR4 with 85k. Needed to replace cross over pipe and water pump and rear breaks. Check for timing chain noise too since in addition to the cooling system this can be a common problem.
Any 2013+ shouldn't have any timing chain problems. It's rare, but not as common as the pre 2013 engines.

I do agree with the other posters though. You are due for crossover pipes and a water pump, the control arm bushings will go at some point, so check those out as well. They're hydro bushings and will leak oil when they start to go.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, not sure if you realized it, but think of this:

If you plan on off-roading this at all, make sure this has the HD package with a low-range option for the transfer case.

Starting on the 2014 models, this was an option and not standard.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the coolant system pressure checked. You are about due for a front crossover coolant pipe and new water pump.
Good advice here. I’ll just add that the crossovers (front and rear) need to be replaced before too long even if your pressure test doesn’t show a leak. They tend to burst when they go with little warning. Several on this forum have lost an engine to this problem. But, if it does show a leak, maybe you can get Carvana to spring for some repairs.

The other thing to know about the coolant crossovers is that the shops charge a lot for this repair because the supercharger needs to come off, which means draining coolant and unhooking a bunch of stuff. Its DIY’able and there are some good threads on how to do it in this forum. Just don’t think you can get it done at the shop for a few hundred.

Low mileage car, though - might be a good find if it has the options you want.

Matt1t

Reaction score
Hey all,

I appreciate the comments..... So there was a delay in getting the vehicle to me. I just picked it up tonight. I didn't know the HD package existed. I do not have it, but dang now I wish I did. I'm not too broken up about it, I have a 95 YJ I wheel in anyways. Man, I just came off of a water pump issues with my 2011 Ford Explorer. That repair alone cost me $1,800. I'm a little shocked to see at 57,000 I'll need crossover pipes and a water pump......? Is the water pump accessible? In the Explorer engine, its not and you need to drop the engine to get to it. Poor design. I'm going to need to look into crossover pipes and what entails a water pump replacement. Any tell-tail signs a water pump is going? So should I bring it somewhere for the coolant pressure check or can I buy something to do this myself? I'm going to start looking at water pump replacements. I've only had the truck a few hours and I'm impressed. Added bonus which surprisingly was not in the listing was a dvd system with monitors in the head rest. The kids like that. I did see a detailed Carfax report and the previous owner did take care of the vehicle with routine maintenance at the LR dealership.

I went over the truck this evening and nothing is sticking out as off. Under the hood, things look clean with no resent signs of work, but tomorrow I plan on getting up under the truck to check it out. I have six days to send it back risk free at this point.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I appreciate the comments..... So there was a delay in getting the vehicle to me. I just picked it up tonight. I didn't know the HD package existed. I do not have it, but dang now I wish I did. I'm not too broken up about it, I have a 95 YJ I wheel in anyways. Man, I just came off of a water pump issues with my 2011 Ford Explorer. That repair alone cost me $1,800. I'm a little shocked to see at 57,000 I'll need crossover pipes and a water pump......? Is the water pump accessible? In the Explorer engine, its not and you need to drop the engine to get to it. Poor design. I'm going to need to look into crossover pipes and what entails a water pump replacement. Any tell-tail signs a water pump is going? So should I bring it somewhere for the coolant pressure check or can I buy something to do this myself? I'm going to start looking at water pump replacements. I've only had the truck a few hours and I'm impressed. Added bonus which surprisingly was not in the listing was a dvd system with monitors in the head rest. The kids like that. I did see a detailed Carfax report and the previous owner did take care of the vehicle with routine maintenance at the LR dealership.

I went over the truck this evening and nothing is sticking out as off. Under the hood, things look clean with no resent signs of work, but tomorrow I plan on getting up under the truck to check it out. I have six days to send it back risk free at this point.

Pretty sure there isn't a good way to check the crossover pipes without dissembling. There is a newer updated part that you might be able to see, but I'm not sure.

The water pump isn't really the big issue. The crossover pipe can burst and cook an engine without much warning.

I know the water pumps can have a slow leak, but the skid plates usually catch it.

Water pump is easy to get to from what I've seen (I had mine replaced under warranty recently)

The thought is to replace the crossover pipes, and while everything is apart, throw a new water pump in as well, since they can leak slowly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut