Newbe being as newbe as possable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

gelf1907

I'm a new owner of a US '92 RR County and, as being new to Land Rovers, I'm soliciting for a little sage advice on what to watch for. I'm not planning on doing any "real" off roading, though there are plenty of dirt and gravel roads in her future.

What goes wrong on a RR Classic and what can I do to keep these problems from being a big deal?

Thanks....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Since it is a Land Rover, the issues that could come up are either many or very few... it really depends on how well it has been treated and how well you take care of it from now on. And what day it was built, was the a football game the night before.....

Ok that last bit is just for fun, but it can vary from Rover To Rover on what will happen. I have heard of Rovers lasting well into the 500,000k range with very little work required.

G

gelf1907

The first 9 lessons I leared on my own.

Well, there have been some issues so far: (US '92 RR County)

1) New Tires - The shop told me the stock size is no longer being manufactured and that next time I need tires they probably won't be available anymore. Is this true? What ize should I be looking at next time to keep the stock rims?

2) Shocks - The second owner (I'm #3) apparently thought he knew how to off road and sheared off two of the bolts from the RF shock tower. I had all the bolts removed and replaced

3) Brakes - I think I made a Newbie mistake and had Midas do them. Now they squeal all the time and I'm not sure what the proper fix is. Do I have to get the stock LR pads and put them on?

4) Code 44 - yes the Left O2 sensor has failed. I looked at how the wires are run and where the connector is and I have a hard time believing that everyone does not know what a code 44 is. I have 2 new O2 sensors coming and will fit them onto new harnesses tis weekend and route the wires away from the exhaust manifold/engine block.

5) Code 2-6 (or was it 2-7?) - hum, why did my ABS light turn on? Hum, why can't I take the car out of park? Hum, why do I not have brake lights? Hum why did Land Rover redesign the brake light/ABS switch years after they stopped using it in their cars?... I'm hoping the new, redesigned one is not the POS the last one was.

6) Nice job spot welding the left strut bracket to the frame of the car, NOT. I guess the welder had a few pints to many at lunch. Easy job to weld it back on and reinforce the other one and get after market struts to replace the original ones...

7) What was Mercedes thinking when they designed the seat controls? Oh ya, that no one eats or gets sand in their Mercedes. To bad Land Rover used these switches on their Range Rovers... I figured out how to rebuild them myself and now the seats actually move again.

8) The head liner is sagging a bit in the luggage compartment. I’ve been pondering what the best way to fix it is and noticed I can buy a new one. This makes me believe I could actually remove the existing one with out damaging it and then lift the fabric and apply spray adhesive to the underlayment and roll the fabric back on. What have other people done?

9) New belts and hoses – The only repair that did not come with some surprises!

Well that’s the short list I developed in the last 60 days. Any one want to let me know what other surprises my new baby will give me?

What can I do to stem off the common failure of the head gasket and other seals?

I’ll keep posing all the little surprises I get from my little Range Rover, but it still has fewer problems then the ’72 MGB had… (don’t get me started)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm Land Rover and MGB are you a *********? Remember both have Lucas Electrics...

Head Gaskets = Don't overheat it
Seals = it is a Rover, it will leak

Headliner, I have seen many different approaches to this, including removing it and painting the area with your favorite paint. But yes, you can remove and use spray adhesive.

ABS switch hasn't improved... If you have the time and ability... re engineer it, and put in the switch of your choice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM