Newfie LR Crossbar Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought new set of LR crossbars from dealer. Tried to install myself but they're not wide enough out of the box to fit across the roof from 1 rail to other. Can't figure out how to widen.

Thanks,

Patriot

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Patriot, open up the crossbar locking mechanism with key. There should be plastic
piece on top that slides out towards you revealing a screw. Use the allen wrench provided
to loosen up this screw. Both ends of the cross bar should slide in and out to shorten
or lengthen the bar for desired length. Set your bars where you want them then tighten
screws back up and lock into place with key.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, not sure if this applies to the LR bars, but the front and rear are different widths on the truck. With my Yakima rack and landing pads, I have a specific front bar and rear bar. They are not interchangable.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR bars I believe are identical, both adjust to length.

rootykazotty

Reaction score
cROSS bARS

Patriot, I just received a set of new cross bars that I purchased through E-Bay for 200 smackers and I was very upset to find that they didn't fit. There where no instructions with the cross bars, so I gave the local LR dealer a call (parts dept.) and they told me of the end caps, plastic slide covers and allen screws. Had them on in 15 minutes. As for the posts about wind noise: I have found that with a little investigating the causes of wind noise can be found and corrected. I find the construction of these cross bars are excellent, damn pricey though! Good luck on your install.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone thought of devising some brackets or a basket of sorts that could attach to the crossbars so that things can be sto'd up there? I'd like to throw a spare or two up there. Maybe if there were a bracket that attaches to the X-bars and also seats the rims and uses the lug-holes it could work. I can see it in my mind but don't know if I'm explaining it well.

Thoughts?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yakima and I beleve Thule make a basket that is desinged for putting a spare on the roof. I see them on ebay all the time

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but will that mount to the OE Crossbars?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone thought of devising some brackets or a basket of sorts that could attach to the crossbars so that things can be sto'd up there? I'd like to throw a spare or two up there. Maybe if there were a bracket that attaches to the X-bars and also seats the rims and uses the lug-holes it could work. I can see it in my mind but don't know if I'm explaining it well.

Thoughts?

Houm, I used to run a Yakima Load Warrior basket on top of mine. Yakima also makes
a spare tire mount for this model.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4