NGK vs Bosch Ignition coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience running the NGK vs Bosch ignition coils?

I run NGK plugs in the engine and prefer them over the Bosch plugs. Recently though, NGK has released coil packs for this engine, and touts them as the absolute best you can buy. That said, aside from the fact that I can buy a set of Bosch for $400 and NGK's for $700, I'm wondering what the real difference is, and if it's worth it?

Don't get me wrong, I think NGK makes great stuff....I just don't know if it's $300 more great stuff? Does it just produce "that" much more spark? Or will it just last longer?

I should probably point out that I'm rebuilding the entire engine and don't actually have a need to replace any of mine as they haven't failed. This is more along the lines of, "While I'm in there and I've replaced just about everything else....why not!"

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I like NGK, but I like Denso more. I've run both over 30 years in many applications. NGK because it's a little cheaper, but Denso lasts longer and burns cleaner IMO. I definitely don't like Bosch, especially their spark plugs.

If you're rebuilding the complete engine, just get injectors, timing chain, timing tensioner, timing guides, injectors, spark plugs (I like Denso Long Life Iridiums over NGK), head gaskets, spark plug gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, water pump, oil cooler pipe and gasket, front/rear crossover pipe, map sensor, maf sensors, clean the intake manifold, clean the throttle body, new pcv valves, and walnut blast the intake valves. Clear the adaptation values, and that'll get you a new motor, minus actually rebuilding it with ALL new bottom and top end components.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! I've run NGK's for a while, and in truth, don't have much experience with Denso plugs...but it's worth looking into.

Any idea if Denso makes ignition coils for this engine? I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with the different coils?

As for my rebuild, it's a complete rebuild. I was planning on converting my NA block to an SC engine...until I learned that the blocks are slightly different. To that end, I am installing new Pistons, rods, main bearings, rod bearings, intake/exhaust valves, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, ARP rod bolts, SC rebuild, All new gaskets, remanufactured torque converter (my stock one is dying), New timing chain components to include cam variators, new injectors, new plugs, new ignition coils, new belts, converting to an electric water pump, converting to a electric fans, new pcv valves, changing to SC pulleys and ECU tune (when money allows)

That said, I never thought about swapping the MAF/MAP sensors, oil cooler pipe and rear crossover pipe. Thankfully, the Ford crossover pipe on this engine is aluminum....must be an SC vs NA thing, so I'm not planning on replacing it.

The engine is at the machine shop right now getting the mating surfaces decked, block and rods line honed, valves and heads cleaned and mated, rotating assembly balanced. Oh, and everything hot tanked and cleaned.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Denso vs. Bosch coils, my general understanding with performance coils and spark plugs is that a lot of the "additional spark performance over stock" stuff is marketing b.s., and the only realistic performance gain you might be able to expect is longevity.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Denso vs. Bosch coils, my general understanding with performance coils and spark plugs is that a lot of the "additional spark performance over stock" stuff is marketing b.s., and the only realistic performance gain you might be able to expect is longevity.

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. Looking at the prices online, I can source Bosch Coils for roughly $565:

Or, I can source NGK's for $655:

It's a difference of $90....somehow I though I could source the Bosch's for 1/2 the NGK's, but when I looked closer, it was a set of Bosch plugs and "OE replacement" coils that they did their best to hide the fact weren't Bosch. Darn eBay junk peddlers!

I'm leaning toward the NGK's as I've always had good luck with them. I honestly don't think it'll make one lick of difference in fuel economy or power output. Maybe they'll just last a little longer? That said, my LR4 is a 2010 and it still runs fine with the original Bosch coils....so longevity is definitely a relative term. :hmmmm2:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick Update:

I pulled the trigger on the NGK's, but not from the ebay site above. Both Carid.com and Stockwise auto had the coils for roughly $71 and $67 respectively. Unfortunately, Stockwise only had 7 coils in stock and CarID had 8. Plus, shipping was a little higher for Stockwise, so it ended up being a wash price wise...so I went with CarID. All 8 coils with shipping and tax ran me $614.76.

It's not exactly great, but it could have been much worse if they were in the $100+ per coil Range.

At the end of the day, my goal is to build this engine as reliable and powerful as I can....all while maintaining it as a daily driver.

I'll let you know how the NGK's do....although I imagine my feedback is simply going to be along the lines of, "It runs fine....no issues."

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"First time, every time....."

followed by

"It runs fine....no issues."

I chant this every time I push that start button.....

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another quick update;

Evidently, the NGK’s are on back order. I’m going to try and see if I can get a shipping ETA, but I’m sure all I’ll get is something along the lines of, “Due to the supply chain crisis….blah blah blah”.

I may be forced to go the eBay route…or possibly the Bosch route….assuming they’re in stock. Thankfully I have a couple of weeks while the block is getting machined, so I don’t have to go crazy just yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV